Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I are selling a parcell of land and I spent the weekend with a friend of mine dropping, limbing and making logs out of these monsters! One is 21" across and the other is 24". My friend and I were using 16" & 18" chainsaws. We were under powered, but we got the job done!

ForumRunner_20130728_205724.jpg

The 21" yielded 3) 8' & 1) 10' log. The branches split what would have been the next log when it landed.

The 24" yielded 5) 8' logs, Then the trunk turned into three branches.

I have a mill showing up tomorrow to quarter saw most of it. They will also make some 4x4 posts and slab some too.

I will return tomorrow afternoon to take pictures of the milled wood.

Attachments

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
WOW!!!! NICE sizes!!! But your leaving the best PARTS!!!! IMO LOL....the double crotch and approx 6' of stump/crotch. Why cut so high....appears 5.5' in the air...dangerous cutting. Appears to be white oak...beautiful qtr sawn!!! The stump will have some pretty curl in it if cut right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim,

I'm going back with a bigger saw for the v shaped stump and some of the other larger pieces.

I was sawing above my head, so about 7' in the air. I wanted to leave a good length for the stump / trunk. It wasn't the smartest thing I've done, but at least I wasn't on a ladder! LOL!

I'll take and post additional pics of the quarter sawn wood showing the character. There rings were really small and it appeared that this tree had been there forever. I'll try to count the rings on the piece that's still standing.

BTW, I was able to drop both sections within inches of where I marked the area off for them to fall.

Take care and I'll keep you posted.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts