Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to replace an old cheap sliding closet door and the opening size is not something I can just go out and buy. It’s for a bedroom and I don’t want to spend a lot of money on. What the hell is wrong with architects that design stuff with nonstandard replacement parts? :thumbdown:

Anyway I don’t know what to do. I guess I’ll have to buy a couple of sheets of Plywood and make my own, but I’ll need some sort of hardware for them to slide. If the opening were a little smaller I could pick up a couple of folding doors and be done with it.

Anybody make their own closet doors?

·
Carpenter saving lives!
90 Posts
Check the width of bifold doors as they need a little bit of room in order to pivot. I have put in many of these and they need a little extra room.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the width of bifold doors as they need a little bit of room in order to pivot. I have put in many of these and they need a little extra room.
All the bifold doors around here are 36” wide at the max and a little short for the 41” that I need if I go that way

·
Registered
27,648 Posts
All you would have to do is rip some 1x4's that had no or small knots into strips an 1" wide and make a frame to the size door you need with plenty of horizontal ribs and cover it on both sides with some cheap 1/4" luan or birch plywood. You could just glue and staple the plywood on and putty the nail holes assuming you are going to paint. You would actually have a better door than you could buy. Most of the closet doors in the stores now have the frame made out of MDF.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All you would have to do is rip some 1x4's that had no or small knots into strips an 1" wide and make a frame to the size door you need with plenty of horizontal ribs and cover it on both sides with some cheap 1/4" luan or birch plywood. You could just glue and staple the plywood on and putty the nail holes assuming you are going to paint. You would actually have a better door than you could buy. Most of the closet doors in the stores now have the frame made out of MDF.
Thanks Steve, I've been thinking on those lines and I'm looking for some sort of hardware. The original hardware looks like its custom made or at least I can't find replacement parts which is why I'm trying to replace the whole door.

·
Registered
27,648 Posts
Can you post a picture of the hardware? Most of the sliding closet door tract I've had to work with has been a nightmare. I have a customer that has some rent houses and they are always tearing the doors off the tract.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you post a picture of the hardware? Most of the sliding closet door tract I've had to work with has been a nightmare. I have a customer that has some rent houses and they are always tearing the doors off the tract.
Thanks Steve what I need is 4 of these Sliding door glides

·
Registered
27,648 Posts
That doesn't look familar. I will see what I can find. There is nothing in woodworkers hardware catalog that looks like that. It's just the bottom guide right?

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That doesn't look familar. I will see what I can find. There is nothing in woodworkers hardware catalog that looks like that. It's just the bottom guide right?
Actually it is on top and centers the door inside a channel. The bottom has adjustable wheels that ride on a track. To remove the door you just lift it up and pull the bottom out.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve been going through a lot of sites and can’t find anything even close. I’m wondering if I can make one because it looks just like the stuff my wife has for cutting blocks. I guess I’ll have to take a trip to the dollar store.LOL

·
Registered
27,648 Posts
I get you now. If that is all it does you could make one out of a piece of hardware like maple. It wouldn't hurt if it had a little rattle in it. As best as I can see in the picture I think the clip you have is made out of neoprene.

I've been looking for a bottom guide. Most sliding hardware has doors mounted on rollers at the top of the doors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts