Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just purchased some linear motion products from 8020's website. M first project will be the morticing machine that fellow member Al Thayer so graciously shared. If it works out as well as I hope I'll try to build a sliding table for my tablesaw.
It was kind of a pain to navigate eBay, paypal etc ..took me two days but I got it.

Anyone else use 8020's products?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am very interested in this. I was recently looking at their stuff with plans to do the same thing.

But unless I'm missing something it seems like it would be really expensive. I assume you need 8 bearings (4 for the X axis and 4 for the Y axis). At $25 per bearing that is $200 just in bearings?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Just follow Al Thayer's suggestions, do a search on this site for "shop built morticing machine" and he'll tell you how to do it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ya I saw Al's thread and that's what got me started looking at the 8020 products. Still seems like it would be really expensive though.

Hopefully Al seems this thread. Are 8 bearings needed?

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just purchased some linear motion products from 8020's website. M first project will be the morticing machine that fellow member Al Thayer so graciously shared. If it works out as well as I hope I'll try to build a sliding table for my tablesaw.
It was kind of a pain to navigate eBay, paypal etc ..took me two days but I got it.

Anyone else use 8020's products?
I know of a great many people that have used 8020 products. I am readying to build a CNC machine so I will be buying a great many extruded aluminum parts in the next month or so.

The only thing about 8020 on ebay is you have to watch shipping. It will add up quickly. I would determine if local sourcing is even an option for you before diving in. Unfortunately for me, local sourcing is not pretty...

Oh yes, and I too want one of Al's mortising machines but he hasn't as of yet, shared those plans :-(

Paul

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have used many of their products. I actually have a piece of it on top of my homemade router table fence. Ebay is the best place to find the pieces quickly and realatively cheaply.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I saw Al's thread and that's what got me started looking at the 8020 products. Still seems like it would be really expensive though.

Hopefully Al seems this thread. Are 8 bearings needed?
Yes 8 bearings are needed but my total bill came to $105.00 that includes: 4 pieces al extrusion @ 39"inchs each
1 36" piece of UHMW bearing profile
8 AL linear bearing housings

so, I figure correctly I should have appx $100.00 of 8020 products in the morticing machine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know of a great many people that have used 8020 products. I am readying to build a CNC machine so I will be buying a great many extruded aluminum parts in the next month or so.

The only thing about 8020 on ebay is you have to watch shipping. It will add up quickly. I would determine if local sourcing is even an option for you before diving in. Unfortunately for me, local sourcing is not pretty...

Oh yes, and I too want one of Al's mortising machines but he hasn't as of yet, shared those plans :-(

Paul
You are right about the shipping..but ebay will combine shipping when you figure out the system.

I think 8020's ebay store is most likely the least expensive source. I did contact a local(MN) distributor and they said I could order from them. I had a ton of trouble ordering from eBay because I didn't want to use PayPal. I finally gave up, used Paypal credit card option and viola all my troubles disappeared. Ebay WANTS you to use Paypal and makes another other payment option difficult.

·
Registered
53 Posts
spereira said:
Yes 8 bearings are needed but my total bill came to $105.00 that includes: 4 pieces al extrusion @ 39"inchs each 1 36" piece of UHMW bearing profile 8 AL linear bearing housings so, I figure correctly I should have appx $100.00 of 8020 products in the morticing machine
That's not as bad as I thought. It would be great if you could do a write up with tons of pics as you put it together

1 - 9 of 9 Posts