Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DeWalt 735 13 inch planer that has very little use even though it's about 4 years old. Goo/excellent condition. Blades were changed two weeks ago. Works just fine with 6 inch boards fed one at a time, but when I feed an assembled panels of 12 to 12-1/2 inches it will feed thru once or twice, then trip the overload--with a very light cut of 1/4 to 1/5 turn. Oak.

Is this just plain old overload? Should I run a couple passes then turn it off for a couple minutes? Bluebefoproceeding.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Wipe down the rubber feed rollers with mineral spirits....mine did the same thing and it turned out they had a buildup on them. Wiped them down and the problem has been gone.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Also try waxing the beds.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes, very important to keep the rollers clean, and the bed waxed.....
If I don't, I have feeding problems with my Ridgid, too....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
7,222 Posts
In addition to the wax suggestion, the fact you are tripping a breaker sounds like the planer is pulling too many amps when trying to make the 12 - 12 1/2in wide cut.

I would take an even lighter pass, 1/8 turn.

I would also help the planer by pushing the assembly into the planer, then switch to the other side and help to pull it through.

I can hear the tone change when I have either a wide board, like your assembly, or a very dense wood.

I normally use 1/8 turn.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If your line voltage drops to your planer the motor will draw more current and this will overload the circuit-breaker.

Voltage times current equals power, (in watts)

If voltage drops in this formula and the load stays the same, then the current has to increase in order to maintain that same power output.

This could be your problem. To long a run or too small a size wire from the circuit box.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Dave Paine said:
In addition to the wax suggestion, the fact you are tripping a breaker sounds like the planer is pulling too many amps when trying to make the 12 - 12 1/2in wide cut.

I would take an even lighter pass, 1/8 turn.

I would also help the planer by pushing the assembly into the planer, then switch to the other side and help to pull it through.

I can hear the tone change when I have either a wide board, like your assembly, or a very dense wood.

I normally use 1/8 turn.
Dave....do you have a 735? I usually take a full turn which if I recall is 1/16th of an inch....

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Dave Paine said:
Yes I have the 735, and a full turn is 1/16th. I like to take very light passes. Just a personal preference.
Wow....that could take a while....I guess I'm short on patience....lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. I do wax, but haven't in a couple months. Cleaned rollers this morning...even though they looked pretty good. What's the Wixley thing a ma jig? Spiral knives? I'll look it up. I'llalso have an electrician buddy take a look. It's a 20 amp circuit pretty much exclusive to planer. I usually make cuts at a 32nd, but will also try 64ths.

Nice to have friends with a common interest.

Thanks,

Blue

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The wixey gauge is a digital height gauge. When you wiped the rollers down was the cloth dirty?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cloth was clean at beginning, but slightly, very slightly, blackened when done. Also cut my finger on blade while proving that age does not always bring wisdom.

Blue

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't know. I finished all the panels for a bookcase I'm making, so don' have any wide boards/pieces to plane. I'll let you know...if it doesn't I'll probably be whining again.

I would expect that pushing or pulling a board thru planer would be a problem, but I'll give it a try if other action don't work.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Blue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts