Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Christmas presents for grandkids. All scrap wood, pine from another project, cut to look like a whittled handle. Top itself is oak? from a pallet, and the stem is a dowel from some dismantled furniture.

Attachments

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Those are neat looking. I just can't figure out how they're used. Do they just get held in there, or are those what "launches" the tops?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a small hold drilled in the dowel just above the bottom of the large opening in the handle. A string is inserted in the hole and wound around the dowel. Then holding the handle horizontal about 6" above the floor or table, or whatever, the string is given a brisk pull. The top spins, the string pulls out of the dowel, and the top drops out of the handle.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couple more pics- 1st is wife painting names on handles, and dot in same color on top of top ☺ so individual tops stay with the corresponding handle. Second is the half million dollar jig I used to superglue the ends of the strings.

Attachments

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
You grossly overpaid for your jig. But making gifts for others is priceless. So I guess it all equals out in the end. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts