Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a really old jointer that I wanted to restore that I'm now going to use in place of my delta (I really like it)

The only thing is it's 7" and I cant seem to find any 7" blades.. can I use 6" blades on the machine if they fit correctly? I rarely joint anything over 5" anyway.

· Registered
1,510 Posts
Why not buy 8" blades and cut them back 1"? It may take a Dremel to do it, but then your locking bars will have a full width blade to clamp. Be sure to cut slowly so as to not overheat the knives...or you could just ask an outfit to make them, like Infinity Tools or such.

· Registered
29,442 Posts
8" blades can easily be cut down to 7" however I think it would burn up a dremel tool. I normally use a cut-off wheel on an angle grinder or use a metal cutting corborundom blade on a grinder. It won't hurt the temper of the steel if you dip it in water from time to time to keep it from building up too much heat. A lot safer to so you don't burn your paws.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.