Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a lathe. But one that would be able to turn longer posts for a 4post bed project, and eventually be used for posts on a porch addition. I didn't want to spend a lot since it would probably sit idle most of the time once the projects are finished. So with about 4 hrs of assembly, plus some finishing time and some parts I came up with the following. It actually works surprisingly well. Not fancy, but gets the job done without a lot of hassle. And it saved me from lamenting the fact that I didn't have the right equipment.

1/2hp furnace motor
single speed
2-3/4 flange bearings
3/4 shaft
5/8 x 8 bolt for tail stock, sharpened for a dead center
shop smith chuck
2x6 sides around a 4x4 center, 2x10 head stock
capacity, 8"round x 7' length

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's an impressive build. What always amazes me about this kinda turning is all the measurements are done by hand so no 2 posts are ever exactly identical but always look the same. I'm used to metal lathes where the measurements are done by number of turns of a handle or settings on the slides.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sawset That is a brilliant idea and the posts turned out super. The beds look very well made and finished you should be very very proud. On a lighter note wood turning can be very addictive so beware Ha Ha Tambotie

·
Registered
27,106 Posts
You don't have to have 7' between centers to make post like that. I've made them before and I only have 30" between centers on my lathe. You can just turn them in sections and include a 1 1/2" dowel on each piece and glue the sections together end to end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You're right. It's all about improvising. If you have the equipment, good. If not, then it's always the decision between justify buying, renting, borrowing, improvise, or do without. I decided to make and see what I could come up with.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Wow, impressive. I worked off and on for weeks just to build my little pen lathe! Guess the old saying "go big or stay home" really applies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts