Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a two day machinery run, starting Friday at 5 am. I made my first stop at Festool HQ to see some of my friends that work there, hang out a little and get razzed over the video and print material they put my ugly mug in. Found out some super secret stuff too.:whistling

Left there and went to Columbus, IN to drop off a couple things, pick something up. Ate a good home cooked lunch, hung out in a shop and talked machinery for a while.

Left there and headed down to Madison, IN. Did a little sight seeing, shopping and ate some great steak and seafood. Headed north and crashed at a Motel outside of Osgood.

Met up with another person, picked up something I have been waiting to get for 6 months, ate some awesome breakfast, scoped out a shop full of Wadkin's, looked at a 3 story Victorian renovation and then started back north.

Made a couple more stops to check out some people's shops, shoot the breeze and do a little exploring in old towns along the way home.

Machine number one I picked up, is an early American 8" jointer. It is Double badged as a FH Clement and American. Probably from right around 1900. It is about as original as it gets and is in absolutely wonderful condition.

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Machine number two is a Bentel Margedant Planer. Info on Bentel: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=93

This machine is from the early 1880's and has a triangle shaped, skewed, 3 knife head. It cuts on a shear angle, kinda like those new fancy spiral heads do.:whistling

I bought this on ebay last winter. It is a really rare machine (and gold :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Cool machines.:thumbsup::thumbsup: You are getting quite a collection of old planers. A little harder on your back then collecting stamps!!! :laughing::laughing:

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My three kids helped get the tables cleaned up and waxed tonight. They were proud of how dirty they got and had to show off how messy they were to momma.

I pulled the bearing caps and pulled the cutter head. Someone did something odd to the caps. They drilled and tapped 4 holes in each one for a set screw. I am guessing it was done when the bearings were repoured. The only issue is that it hardly leaves any shim left. I am sure it will probably last me a lifetime (or close to it after I scrape them a little), it just seems odd to me.

This thing is in such nice shape, I just hate the fact that it is painted grey, I despise grey machines.

·
Registered
26,320 Posts
Must be nice. I can't find any equipment less than 1500 miles one way from me. I've been looking for a jointer for years and they are usually in Pennsylvania or California.

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My oldest is convinced that this will be the jointer she will learn to use in a couple years, thus it is now her machine.

Since it is her's, I put her to work helping me fill all the extra holes that seem to end up in things after 113 years or so and getting it cleaned up.

Looks so much better in black, no more of that depressing grey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts