Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I searched to no avail. I don't currently have a jointer and have been looking for a while. I haven't had any luck on CL in my area (south AL), so I've been looking at the new Grizzly's. I'd love to have an 8", but the 6" can be had for much cheaper. Is the 8" worth the extra? Will I get the 6" and be let down? Should I get the 6" and then just upgrade later on? As far as the type of woodworking I do, I am fairly new to woodworking and hoping to continue to get better. I want to eventually be able to turn out some quality furniture, but right now I just make "designer firewood" (as someone's signature on here says). I also make the occasional rocking horse (avatar), toys and kid's furniture/accessories. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I think if you can afford the 8" go for it, you won't regret it. I was on the look out for months for a used 6" jointer on CL and almost pulled the trigger on a couple, but they just were not right for the money they were asking. Finally I checked one day and a guy was selling an 8" Delta for $575. I checked it out and offered $500, we settled on $525. Long story short, I am glad I got the 8" one and skipped the 6" one, to only want to upgrade later.

If you are going to be building furniture, you are most likely going to be using wood wider than 6" and needing panel glue ups. Unless you only buy rough lumber smaller than 6" you will have to rip it down smaller to fit on the jointer, only to glue it back together later for larger panels. So if you can swing it, I say get the bigger one now. If money is too tight now, than get a smaller one and I am sure it will be fine, but I think you are going to want the bigger one eventually. Just my opinion.

My beast of a jointer.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
If you've got room, and the 8" doesn't take food from your family, I can't imagine that you'd ever regret having some extra capacity or mass....there are a lot of rough sawn boards between 6 and 8" wide.

·
where's my table saw?
28,579 Posts
Get an 8"

I had a 6" for 30 years and made it work. Then I got into rough sawn boards and needed a wider machine. I found an 8" Grizzly on close out and got it. It cuts as smooth as glass. It's a good place to spend $200 -$300 dollars more and you will never look back. :no:

Reactions: Ostie

·
Papa Red
1,165 Posts
I would go with the 8" if you can. Also look for a long bed, they are very nice to have.

Red

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
I do not know where you are in South Alabama, but there are some out of the Pensacola list.
Jan 18 Delta 6 in variable speed bench jointer $120 (southwest/escambia) pic tools - by owner Jan 16 Cabinet Shop Equipment $3500 (Ocean Springs) pic tools - by owner
Few LOCAL results found. Here are some from NEARBY areas

Jan 3 6"x 36" Grizzly Jointer $400 (Holt) pic tools - by owner
Jan 2 Craftsman 17539 6 amp Corded Plate Jointer $75 (Near Destin) map tools - by owner
Dec 18 Craftsman Jointer Planer $325 (Gulf Shores) pic map tools - by owner
Dec 27 Cabinet shop equipment $3500 (Ocean Springs) pic map tools - by owner

George

·
Registered
26,869 Posts
It depends on your needs. If you are just edge jointing then a 6" jointer is all you need and the length of the bed is all that is important. I bought one years ago and have been suffering with it ever since. I often need to make entry doors where the wood for the stiles are 7 1/2" wide and I need to run the face of the board to make it straight before surfacing. Since I only had a 6" jointer I had to buy much more wood than I needed to be sure there was two boards in the order which were straight enough to do the job. Last month I bought a 12" jointer to put this problem behind me.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
If your choice is a 6" or an 8", I would go for an 8". You'll have greater capacity, and a longer bed...which you'll appreciate after you start using a jointer. It can be like a lot of tools. At first a 6" may be too small, so then comes the 8", which can't beat a 12". And after that, your mind keeps on thinking of something bigger, like a 16"/18". Actually, I think a 24" would be a bit big for a home garage.:laughing:

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
Just noticed you are in Dothan.

Here is one near you.
Craftsman 6 1/8' jointer planer 2 yr old - $450 (Ozark)

Here is one in Mexico Beach.
Jan 4 Joiner/Planner Craftsman $300 (Mexico Beach, Fl) pic tools - by owner

Mexico Beach is 2 hours from you so that may be a little far.

Ozark is only 33 minutes up the road.

George

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

Willlow Oaks Dr at Coby Dr

more ads by this user
Extra set of blades Willlow Oaks Dr at Coby Dr (google map) (yahoo map)

• do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paul, that is a great deal you got there. Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I need to save up a little more for an 8" or keep watching CL for one. GeorgeC, thanks for the legwork, but I think I may need to hold out for an 8". Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I think most of us would prefer larger, but we wind up with what we can afford and have room for. Myself, 1) I couldn't afford a large cash layout for an 8", let alone a spiral cutter head, and 2) I have little enough shop space as it is. I opted for a Grizzly 6", and have put it to good use. $150, like new. Someday perhaps, bigger shop, more free money, bigger jointer, bigger table saw, etc. For now, enjoy what I have..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started with a little 6 inch benchtop, then a floor model 6 inch, then to my 8 inch Powermatic 60. I thought, "Why would anyone need anything bigger?" Then I started buying rough stock from the mill and needed to face joint. I now own a 12 inch beast and wish I had a 16! I know in my heart, if I had a 16, I'd be looking for a 20 so where does it end? All that said, buy the biggest you can and you wont regret it. A 6 inch is ok for small stuff but, if you're doing furniture, you'll want the widest boards for table tops and so on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts