Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and Happy Holidays to all.
im in the market for a grinder (slow speed) and Woodcraft as a 6'' Delta for $89.99 on sale, 8'' grinder is $119.00 reg. price.
My question is, which one 6'' or 8'' is better or easier for sharpening my lathe tools? And also i already have the wolverine system and jigs. Just not sure which one would be the proper grinder for a better result or if it matters.
Thanks for any and all input.
Harry

·
OLD DUDE AT WORK
1,460 Posts
The 8" would be a better choice. I have a Wilton 8" and it's still going strong after 12 years.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Whether you buy 6” or 8” bench grinder, buy locally from store that has good return, replacement and money back policy. Wheel wobble and vibration plaque all models of bench grinders. Some times can cure both problems by truing the wheels with diamond point dresser, if not return bench grinder.
Some wobble until grinder gets up to speed okay. If tool is bouncing of wheel need to dress wheel, if that does not solve problem return grinder.

Not big fan of Oneway Precision Balancing system for $70. Have had better success with cardboard washers, and dressing wheel. Also, shaft nuts go on hand tight whether tighten right or left hand threads.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I use the Oneway balancer, Norton wheels and dress the wheel as needed. No vibration at all. Oh, on a Woodcraft slow speed grinder.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys
Thanks for all your input, i think i will wait and watch for woodcraft to put the 8'' on sale. :yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts