Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an old jointer that I just finished restoring but I like the idea of having a more solid hefty jointer. I saw a grizzly g1182z on craigslist and the owner said he would accept $200 for it.

Should I bite?

·
Registered
26,979 Posts
If it runs and both tops are level with each other I would bite. It appears to have been well taken care of. I believe that model goes for $445.00 new.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it runs and both tops are level with each other I would bite. It appears to have been well taken care of. I believe that model goes for $445.00 new.
He said it only used it 2 times :)

Ughh. This will make 3 jointers in the garage. 2 of them I have to sell now.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would you ask here, Check Grizzly.com. That is a great deal is you want it.
I ask here because I don't expect grizzly to tell me "meh it's an okay product."

It's an older model and sometimes you find a great brand but a time period where they didn't make the best equipment. I'm sure someone here could help me either way. I'm on my way to pick it up now anyway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have that same jointer.....it really works quite well.....but, don't nick any blades......very difficult/impossible to find.....

·
where's my table saw?
28,731 Posts
you never "have" to sell a tool...

You don't want to know how many jointers I have. :no:
Let's just say I have 4 - 6" ones and then there are some larger ones. No, I don't use them all and enjoy restoring the finds from Craig's List. Yes, I should sell a few, but what if one of the others breaks down...? I'll need a back up. :laughing: The newer 8" Grizzly models are pretty neat and a bargain when on closeout. ooops. :blink:

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I have that same jointer.....it really works quite well.....but, don't nick any blades......very difficult/impossible to find.....
Any 6" x 1" x 1/8" jointer blade will work....Infinity, Hartville, Holbren, Grizzly, Freud, Amazon, Rockler...all good sources. They can also be sharpened.

·
Registered
26,979 Posts

It's not too healthy to believe someone that is trying to sell you something. :laughing: Anyway something could have fallen on it distorting the beds and they not know the problem if it's not used. When you go look at it I would raise the front table level with the rear and put a straight edge across it.

You can't have too much machinery. I have three table saws, three band saws, a 6" jointer and I'm searching daily for a 12" jointer. If I find one I'm not getting rid of the 6".

·
where's my table saw?
28,731 Posts
amen to that

You can't have too much machinery. I have three table saws, three band saws, a 6" jointer and I'm searching daily for a 12" jointer. If I find one I'm not getting rid of the 6".
+1 :yes:

Reactions: vinnypatternmaker

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hmphhh?

They use standard 6 inch blades. You can it EM for $22 on grizzly.com
You are correct....I pulled up my e-mail from grizzly from 2010, and they said the original ones had been discontinued, but others that would fit were available.....

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
I've heard it's nice to have an extra set of blades so you can always have a sharp set on hand. While one set is in, you can send the second set out. Less likely to be tempted to use dull blades and cause an accident that way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts