Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
CNC Programmer/Operator
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a high quality 1/4" strait cutting plunge router bit with atleast a 3/4" working length, that leaves a clean line through laminate and melamine? Any info would be great.

·
Registered
994 Posts
For best results and cleanest edges on a CNC we spec a 1/4" spiral downcut bit. These typically come with 1" of cutting edge. You can get them from amazon, rockler, and nearly any other source that sells router bits. You mention "6.35 dia" in your thread title. Are you making 1/4" holes or using a 1/4" bit to route out a 6.35" hole?

·
John
3,028 Posts
looking for a high quality 1/4" strait cutting plunge router bit with atleast a 3/4" working length, that leaves a clean line through laminate and melamine? Any info would be great.
Is this double sided laminate or just top side? If just top side, a downcut is usually preferred although I have had some success with 'O' flutes. The problem with small downcut bits is they will really pack the chips down if it is not a through cut. This builds heat very quickly and dulls the bit.
If double sided, look at using a compression bit. Compression bit will downcut the first few millimeters and still auger the chips up and out of the cut.
http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5638-cnc-compression-spiral-bits-for-mdflaminate-2-flute.aspx

:smile:

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

You mention "6.35 dia" in your thread title. Are you making 1/4" holes or using a 1/4" bit to route out a 6.35" hole?
This question needs to be answered.

·
CNC Programmer/Operator
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry if my post was vague, we use a 1/4" diameter cutting bit for back grooves, it works great but the working length isn't enough to route out a french cleat through cut, so we we have to run a longer 1/2" diameter strait cutting router bit to get the through cut on the french cleat. The bit change mechanism on the cnc has issues, and losing time for every bit change is adding up. Not sure if I explained it better this time.

·
John
3,028 Posts
sorry if my post was vague, we use a 1/4" diameter cutting bit for back grooves, it works great but the working length isn't enough to route out a french cleat through cut, so we we have to run a longer 1/2" diameter strait cutting router bit to get the through cut on the french cleat. The bit change mechanism on the cnc has issues, and losing time for every bit change is adding up. Not sure if I explained it better this time.
Item 46170 on this link has a cutting length of 7/8", bit is kinda spendy though.
http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5638-cnc-compression-spiral-bits-for-mdflaminate-2-flute.aspx:smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts