Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bit of a pickle. I nicked my blades BAD on my jointer when I hit a flipping staple. I have a project I need to finish today, I can have the blades sharpened but no one will do it today. I'm going to run to the big box and grab a pair of blades but they're all 6-1/8 inches long. I'd rather not take a grinder to them and mess up any tempering but I'm running out of options.

Unless someone knows where I can buy a set of blades in Houston.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
That is the more common width of the knives found on 6" jointers.

Reactions: afx

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
6-1/8" knives will work fine.

If you offset one of the nicked knives you will be back in business also. :smile:
I tried that but it's making for a terribly shaky jointer experience :) plus, the wood is using nearly all of the blade :(

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
I'm in a bit of a pickle. I nicked my blades BAD on my jointer when I hit a flipping staple. I have a project I need to finish today, I can have the blades sharpened but no one will do it today. I'm going to run to the big box and grab a pair of blades but they're all 6-1/8 inches long. I'd rather not take a grinder to them and mess up any tempering but I'm running out of options.

Unless someone knows where I can buy a set of blades in Houston.
I cut and grind tool steel all the time. It won't take the temper out if you dip them in water pretty frequently while you are grinding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts