Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1/2 hp 14" bs and recently was offered the motor out of a 1 hp craftsman. The process or making the switch doesn't seem too complicated... or am I missing something? Are there issues I'm likely to see?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Is the 1HP motor also from a band saw? They often use 1725 RPM motors vs. 3450 for most table saws.

Check the type of mount, the shaft diameter and the direction of rotation, too. If they all match (or you can make them all match) it would be a nice upgrade.

Bill

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have looked and it appears the motor on my band saw runs counter-clock wise and the craftsman motor say "CW. Rotation shaft end". It sounds strange I know but I have read about motors not always rotating as marked, but pretty sure testing a motor that isn't mounted to anything sounds like a bad idea.

If I am as screwed as the labels on the motor makes it sound. Is there a way to revers the direction of the motor?

·
where's my table saw?
28,745 Posts
non-reversible according to the label

However, you can locate the motor on the other side of the belt and ...walla ....it's turning the belt the other direction. You can also fire up the motor just clamp it on a board or plywood...it will jump a bit when it first starts up, :eek: then it will be fine. If the location for the motor is such that you can not turn it around then you are "screwed" as you suggested. If the stand is open rather than a cabinet type then it's possible to turn it around OR you can make a new stand out of plywood, depending how attached you are to this whole project. Maybe replacing the motor with a reversible direction type would be easier...I donno?

If the new motor speed is 3450 RPMs, and the old was 1725 RPMs, reduce the motor pulley size by 1/2 or increase the machine pulley by double.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts