Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish to thank ALL those who took the time to respond to my problem with the #5 brass & zinc screws breaking off in my oak stair treads while installing carpet rod brackets. Many variables enter into the overall installation problem. 1. The quality of the screws...all I could find in # 5 FH phillips, 1-1/4" were brass & zinc. The boxes were marked Thailand & Taiwan, need I say more! Considering the brackets came with brass slotted FH screws, I considered the phillips a better choice. 2. The hardnest of the oak wood. 3. Drilling the pilot hole on a 45 degree angle using the 2 holes in the small solid brass bracket as a guide to achieve the correct angle. I was able to locate a source for hardened cut thread wood screws. Check out this website: www.oemfasteners.net Also titled Goulet Specialties. I appreciate all the input from everyone and I'm sure I'll use the ideas on this project and others. Until next time................Many thanks my friends!

·
Registered
116 Posts
A Vixbit is what to use for centering a pilot hole into a chamfered hardware like hinges and such.

and I don't think I spelled that one right.:yes:

I'm a square drive fan.

jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts