Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're probably in the same position I am in. Constantly moving stuff back and forth to work on something, only to move more stuff around so you can work on the next task. I got frustrated in mid project so I knocked out a few 2x4 brackets to use as a lumber rack. They are surprisingly strong. I'm 180lbs and I can hang from a single bracket with no movement from the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGr5TtVKI8g

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Nice, simple, cost effective solution. If I had wall space I'd make one :). At some point likely this winter, I will be making some type of storage mounts that hang from my ceiling over my opened garage door. I have access to the attic to secure mounts from above my rafters.

Mark

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Nice video Jay. I love your YouTube channel. I'm in the middle of my first bandsaw box build thanks to you.

I just built a very similar wood rack shown in the Small Shop solutions magazine. Mine uses long vertical support and then has 4 horizontal supports half lapped to a single set of vertical supports.

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
Nice, simple, cost effective solution. If I had wall space I'd make one :). At some point likely this winter, I will be making some type of storage mounts that hang from my ceiling over my opened garage door. I have access to the attic to secure mounts from above my rafters.

Mark
I have done what you are thinking about. I used flat iron bar for the hangers and angle iron for the cross supports.

I made the supports long enough that they fastened to both the joists and rafters.

George

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
GeorgeC said:
I have done what you are thinking about. I used flat iron bar for the hangers and angle iron for the cross supports. I made the supports long enough that they fastened to both the joists and rafters. George
My intention is to use the "c" channel stuff that electricians & plumbers use to attach lines and stuff in commercial ceilings. It's pretty strong. I will run it horizontal across the rafters in the attic, then run vertical pieces down through the ceiling drywall and attach pieces horizontal to those. It's more of a matter of time than anything right now.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts