Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

Not sure if anyone here has seen the nice video by Bill Ng on using the 5 cut method. It currently has over two million views. He posted a follow up video called "two cuts to a perfect sled" or similar, where he seemed disheartened by some negative comments. That inspired me to write a simple program to do the math for the user. It started out as a spreadsheet, but has evolved to a simple web based app that is simple to use.

I would like to donate the program to anyone who wished to use it. There is no charge, or information needed. Just the four measurements of your test cut. I am at a loss as how to distribute though. Similar efforts have been marked as spam in the past, by well meaning but ignorant people.

I guess the first question is how to get the link verified as safe to use, so there is no concern.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hello All.

Not sure if anyone here has seen the nice video by Bill Ng on using the 5 cut method. It currently has over two million views. He posted a follow up video called "two cuts to a perfect sled" or similar, where he seemed disheartened by some negative comments. That inspired me to write a simple program to do the math for the user. It started out as a spreadsheet, but has evolved to a simple web based app that is simple to use.

I would like to donate the program to anyone who wished to use it. There is no charge, or information needed. Just the four measurements of your test cut. I am at a loss as how to distribute though. Similar efforts have been marked as spam in the past, by well meaning but ignorant people.

I guess the first question is how to get the link verified as safe to use, so there is no concern.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.
I used the 5-cut method a couple of years ago when I made a new TS sled. Granted, I am an engineer (retired), but the math involved was pretty simple; however, I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would appreciate the assist! :)

BTW, I got my sled fence near-dead on accurate -- just a fraction of a thousandth error over 24".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the 5-cut method a couple of years ago when I made a new TS sled. Granted, I am an engineer (retired), but the math involved was pretty simple; however, I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would appreciate the assist! :)

BTW, I got my sled fence near-dead on accurate -- just a fraction of a thousandth error over 24".
Yes, I actually saw your post earlier today. What are the chances?👍
Anyway, I think some who would other wise use the method, don't like math and would benefit from this. Not being that involved with the site, I know that I'm nobody around here. However, It would be nice if someone who is trusted would try and hopefully recommend the app. I know once it makes the rounds, it will make many woodworking lives enhanced. Especially since newer digital calipers can be had for so little.
Thanks for the response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts