Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I certainly don't want to beat a dead horse, and I did do a search on the topic. The question that I have wasn't answered soooo....

Has anyone tried to use the 45 degree locking router bit on a handheld router? I don't want to say free hand, I would use a guide but running their material through not using a table mounted router.

I am in the planning stages of building some cubbies for my daughters playroom, and I am going back and forth between birch ply and MDF. I know though each have their pluses and minus. Here is the argument I am having with myself....

Birch ply, worked w/it before...but the exposed ends, there are going to be alot of them, not sure if I want to deal with that.

MDF, never worked with it before, I don't mind the dust (will wear a mask and cut outside) it's just fastening the 45's.

This locking bit seems like a good solution for the MDF, running through my table is going to be difficult (not impossible, just don't have the time to set up the supports) because I am looking at 8' board lengths.

Any thoughts ?

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
pre cut the angles with a saw b4 the lock miter bit and it will be way easier. this way you can take just a light cut. That bit is NOT intended to be used as you want to, so be very very careful. It should be setup in a stationary position IE router table or shaper.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I can't imagine using those type of bits, that have to be adjusted perfectly for the cuts being done basically by hand... one very slight mis-move and your cut is no good.

To me, this is obviously something that should be done on a router table using featherboards, etc. to control the cut for perfect results.

Anything else, would be unacceptable. IMHO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All - thanks for your thought and opinions. I have decided to go with birch plywood, I am going to make face frames to address the end grain issue.

I agree that the 45 deg bit should be used in a table. But hey - we have to think outside the box once in a while!

:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts