Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have "inherited" a large plank of Walnut from the previous owner of our house. He left it when he moved. He says it has passed down through his family and the slab is over 40 years old. It was cut in North Carolina.
I am not a woodworker, but would like to make (or have made) something from this beautiful piece of wood. It is 7"x42"x1-7/8" thick.

Any suggestions on how to use this piece will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete in SC

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The first thing that comes to my mind is just a simple shelf. Sand it smooth and make sure all edges are square to each other then put a simple routered edge on the front and two ends.

Buy some decorative brass shelf brackets, brush on a couple of coats of poly and voila your done.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Welcomne Pete.

Before you put the saw to it, I would like to see a picture of it. It might look better with live edges if it still has them.

By the definite measurments you give it sounds like it has already been dimensioned though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you have a nice piece of walnut; however you really don’t have enough to make anything of consequence. The fact that it is 40 years old does not enhance the value more than the same piece milled in 2006. The retail value is between $70 and $100.

The other problem is its thickness. 8/4 wood usually is used in large projects, but with the quantity it’s hard to image, with out buying a lot more to go with it.

I would rip 7 - one inch thick strips (1 7/8 inch wide and 3 ½ feet long) and use as trim in a coffee table with a center made of 4/4 maple, or white oak or ash….

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
. . . . . you really don’t have enough to make anything of consequence. . . . . .
I have to respectfully disagree. Pete has clearly indicated he likes the piece of wood. he wants ideas. To basically tell him his emotion is wasted on a pice of wood you have not even laid eyes on is pretty Ivory Towerish. :yes:

Pete, you figure out what you want to do with that beautiful pice of wood and do it. then post the picture. I can't wait to see it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Picture/mirror frame.

Resaw (lucky to get 3/4" but little less is no prob) for a Box with nice joinery.

Hang it on the wall as is for conversation and if/when you sell the house it gets to stay.
jim

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lately I've been into the look of furniture w/ painted cases/bases and clear or stained tops. I might resaw the board, crosscut the pieces in half, then glue them up (book-matched) to make two tops for a matching pair of tables. 13" X 20" are nice dimensions for bedside tables or nightstands...

Or a shelf...

·
Registered
19 Posts
what is the figure like? pretty straight and consistent or burly? anything crazy and cool going on there? if so i might consider resawing some of it into veneer and using it for an end table top, nightstand, something like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts