Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting around to installing a DC in my shop. Working on ten things at once. I have 50 ft of 4" flex hose that came with the DC. Was looking at flex to PVC adapters, $10 each with 2 for every machine and a couple for the DC and maybe the Thien top hat. I'm looking at $200 for adapters.

Instead, I made a die and made some for the cost of 4" of PVC pipe. At $2.10 a foot, I have 70¢ in each adapter. It takes longer to prep the nipples than to swedge the pipe.

The die is 3 layers of plywood cut out with a 4" hole saw with ⅜" round over. I hit each nipple with dry silicone spray and hit it with the heat gun for 90 seconds.

Automotive tire Tire Wood Tread Automotive wheel system

Proof of concept

Wood Dishware Automotive tire Pottery Serveware

The first swedge did collapse and kink. I ran a rotary sander hooked on my drill to taper the top a bit. Works great 👍

Wood Bottle Tool Flooring Hardwood

·
where's my table saw?
31,936 Posts
Great work and a nice swaging die. It sure beats factory adaptors and almost any price.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks wnt. i can't claim the idea as my own. i had glued up the die the night before, with intensions of cutting it in half, heating the pipe and clamping it in the vise. surfing youtube gave me this video, i just ran the round over bit and sanded a little to my die. my die is a lot deeper than the guy in the video, maybe 3x the swedge.

easy peasy (y)

fwiw... swedge and swag have the same definition, as a pipe fitter/welder i learned swedge

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got 50+ft of hose with this DC, the 2 long hoses with steel wire go on the swedged nipples fine. The ten ft hose has plastic reinforcement 'wire' in it that won't fit on anything.
In another thread I mentioned that hose adapter fittings vary from tool to tool. Now I have 2 different size 4" hose 🤦‍♂️

1 - 5 of 5 Posts