Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a pretty small shop, and when I bought the house there was a shelf in the corner, not particularly useful as it has only two levels, and really just becomes a dumping ground. So I decided today to throw together a quick rolling storage cart. Mainly useable for portable hand tools, routers, and small cutoffs. Here's the first shot of it, it will utilize 4 15 gallon heavy duty totes, which should aid in keeping the tools cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
Looks like a good start. I recommend something to label the bins for you don't want to have to look through three to find out what you want is in the 4th.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im going to sign the wife up on labeling duty....we have a PTouch labeler that the labels will stick to virtually anything.

I've gotta pick up some more totes, some casters, and find a few more pieces of plywood for the cutoff shelf.

I think I'll trim the edges in scrap hardwood, just to cut down on the splintering. It's just cheap bc plywood as the cart is a short term solution until we move and I get a bigger shop.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Neat application. My wife found a similar idea using clothes baskets for our laundry area. I really like the idea for the shop. Did you brace the back somehow?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't yet, the one tote is loaded to about 30 lbs right now and there's no real movement yet. I think the next level down is going to be the cutoff shelf, and I think I'll put a back on that, which should add some additional rigidity.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Is this made out if standard plywood with 2x4s that appeared to be ripped at a slight angle?

I may try this soon, specifically as a scrap bin holder.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BC 3/4 inch plywood, 5 pocket screws in each joint. (yes....i used pocket screws....I am fully aware of how to use real joinery) and the 2x4 is ripped straight down the center.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
ryan50hrl said:
BC 3/4 inch plywood, 5 pocket screws in each joint. (yes....i used pocket screws....I am fully aware of how to use real joinery) and the 2x4 is ripped straight down the center.
Thanks. As for pocket screws, I'm a fan if using these for some applications. However , I've always been wary of using them with plywood.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had pretty good luck using them for these types of applications, just so long as you don't overtighten.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Great idea Ryan,

I'd put a back on it though. The case has nothing to keep it from racking.

If you don't want to put a full back on it installing a triangular gusset at each back corner would serve the same purpose.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Added shelves and a roller stand hanger. I think the totes may be extra work, so I'm considering just a door. Thoughts??

Attachments

·
Banned
615 Posts
It depends what you want to use it for. If it's items you use frequently you want easy access. So a drawer, shelf, or pull out shelves. Totes would be a pain to pull them out all of the time. A door if you want to keep it cleaner. Personally I like drawers for deeper cabinets. The tote if i'm storing tools I use infrequently like my tiling/drywalling stuff. Shelves for deeper storage like drill cases etc. pull out shelves would work for my Sanders. If you have benchtop tools like a planer, scrollsaw etc, mount it to a removeable shelf so you can just pull the whole thing out. Then slide it back in when done

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I'm leaning towards two doors, one on the top section where ill keep sanders and other high use stuff, and one for the bottom 3 sections where ill keep low use stuff like biscuit jointers, dovetail jigs, cordless saws, ect.

Ill leave the 2nd section down open for cutoffs

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I went with doors....well one so far as when I got sun cutting, routing, and drilling them both I figured out I only have 3 hinges laying around. So for now just the bottom doors mounted.

I also figured out the only backing material to span to to bottom I 3 inches short....so I gotta get some of that too.

But here's about the finished project.

Attachments

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
I suspect this has passed the 30-minute mark by now ;) But it's worth it. I like what you've done to it. Adding the clamp rack was a nice touch.

I also like that you did away with the plastic totes idea. They seem like they'd be a good storage method but, in the shop, they just aren't.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts