Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want wheels for a bench that I use for a drill press and I want it as low to the floor as I can get it.
I saw these 3 wheel dolly’s and was wondering if I could use 4 of these as my wheels.

They have a Load capacity of 132 lbs x 4 should be enough, I think. :confused1: I don’t know exactly how heavy the drill press is.

·
where's my table saw?
29,623 Posts
I wouldn't

The drill press is a sleeper for injuries....sorry no pun intended! If the work moves or grabs while you are drilling, the piece or the vise holding it may fly around if not secured. I got really whacked by a 1" stainless round when I was drilling a 1/2" hole through it.

What ever you use should be very stable and if necessary through a sand bag on the base to hold it down. I wouldn't like mine on any sort of rollers....JMO.

If you have to move it several feet consider a 2 wheel hand truck.
I moved my 19" bandsaw that way and yeah it was heavy at 430 lbs total. Do not go past the "top" point. :laughing:

You could use a heavy duty mobile base like this where the casters are mounted high on the platform:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Base/D2057A

Reactions: Sleeper

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi Johnny - coincidentally, I was just looking at those things at a Northern Tool store Saturday. I started thinking the same as you but with only 1" swivel wheels and no way to lock them they turned me off. :smile:

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The drill press is a sleeper for injuries....sorry no pun intended! If the work moves or grabs while you are drilling, the piece or the vise holding it may fly around if not secured. I got really whacked by a 1" stainless round when I was drilling a 1/2" hole through it.

What ever you use should be very stable and if necessary through a sand bag on the base to hold it down. I wouldn't like mine on any sort of rollers....JMO.

If you have to move it several feet consider a 2 wheel hand truck.
I moved my 19" bandsaw that way and yeah it was heavy at 430 lbs total. Do not go past the "top" point. :laughing:

You could use a heavy duty mobile base like this where the casters are mounted high on the platform:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Base/D2057A
Thanks for the safety advice, but I have two 3/8” taped holes for securing the vise.

The drill press is convertible and most of the time I have the vise setting on the floor while I have my woodworking table on it.

Anyway those Mobile Bases were the first thing I thought of, but my cabinet is 24”x36” and I don’t see anything that’s even close.
I have some old metal bed frames that I’m thinking about cutting up to make my own and using these wheels from Harbor freight, but the others sure would make it easy. :laughing:

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Johnny - coincidentally, I was just looking at those things at a Northern Tool store Saturday. I started thinking the same as you but with only 1" swivel wheels and no way to lock them they turned me off. :smile:
The non locking thing is a real issue, but I was thinking of attaching some sort of stop clamp on it. I haven't got that far yet, but I saw some interesting Ideas on YouTube.

·
where's my table saw?
29,623 Posts
You can make or buy extensions

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Extension-Bars-For-D2058A/D2246A

A little pricey for what appears to be steel angle or steel tubing. You can use the smallest and cheapest base then make your own side extensions for what your cabinet requires. Just a thought as all the work is done mounting the casters and braking pads....

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have three of THESE from Rockler for my table saw, bandsaw and router table. Very strong and solid and you can make it any size you like and it only raises your bench 3/4".

·
John
3,028 Posts
The non locking thing is a real issue, but I was thinking of attaching some sort of stop clamp on it. I haven't got that far yet, but I saw some interesting Ideas on YouTube.
Hi Johnny, I had a bigger issue with the 1" wheels, those little guys wont handle much of a floor fault. The issue I would have with the Harbor Freight caster you posted is it only locks the wheel, not the swivel. The best combination I have found for any of my mobile stuff is all 4 casters swivel and the front two have the dual (wheel and swivel) locks.
That gives you infinite direction of movement and still locks down solidly, assuming the floor is reasonably level.:smile:

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have three of THESE from Rockler for my table saw, bandsaw and router table. Very strong and solid and you can make it any size you like and it only raises your bench 3/4".
those look just like the ones at Harbor Freight :smile:

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Johnny, I had a bigger issue with the 1" wheels, those little guys wont handle much of a floor fault. The issue I would have with the Harbor Freight caster you posted is it only locks the wheel, not the swivel. The best combination I have found for any of my mobile stuff is all 4 casters swivel and the front two have the dual (wheel and swivel) locks.
That gives you infinite direction of movement and still locks down solidly, assuming the floor is reasonably level.:smile:
Thanks John, I wasn’t thinking of the wheels that way, but you are correct. I have some 2”wheels that get stuck in cracks and wood chips.

·
Registered
679 Posts
those look just like the ones at Harbor Freight :smile:
Harbor Freight Mobile Base Review Item 95288 - YouTube
It looks a little like the Rockler, but that's where it ends. HF uses 1-1/4" wood, Rockler uses full 1-1/2", much sturdier. The metal parts on the Rockler are much thicker than the HF and to move the Rockler one push with your foot on the lever makes it roll on the 3" dolly wheel instead of releasing the two leveling screws. At the end of the video the guy says it does have a little jiggle to it, not good with a table saw. Yes it's double the price, but worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts