Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Give me some more wood
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my wood today:thumbsup: but 14 pieces of my 19 dowels were to narrow in diameter to use:thumbdown:, leaving me with 5 dowels to work with,

I decided to use the Gabon Ebony that I got and is currently in the curing process from the Varathane I put inside the bore hole so in a few days they should all be done. I'll post pics later

I cut a piece of Zebrawood that was close to 1" dia. but there was to much tension in the wood so I had to throw that out and the other piece which is a Imbuya dowel will probably just sit for now.

I was planning on selling most of them but now I think I might just keep them

I bought 4 AAA Grade Tiger Maple turning blanks. Nice stuff, ain't gonna buy more dowels, just turning blanks for accuracy.

They are in the Key of D, I'm not really sure what to call them flutes or something else because there only 14 inches long lol, :laughing:but they sound good so I make them.

Also I got my guitar going, found all the parts I need and My neck which I can not build is being made by Warmoth, Ebony Fretboard, Maple Neck which will most likely be staind Brown or Black.

The Body of the guitar will be made out of Maple and I'm not sure what color I will stain that yet leaning toward a brown color, I'm going to use Mohawk Stains.

This guitar project is going to cost a small fortune like $1,000:eek:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Received my wood today:thumbsup: but 14 pieces of my 19 dowels were to narrow in diameter to use:thumbdown:, leaving me with 5 dowels to work with,

I decided to use the Gabon Ebony that I got and is currently in the curing process from the Varathane I put inside the bore hole so in a few days they should all be done. I'll post pics later

I cut a piece of Zebrawood that was close to 1" dia. but there was to much tension in the wood so I had to throw that out and the other piece which is a Imbuya dowel will probably just sit for now.

I was planning on selling most of them but now I think I might just keep them

I bought 4 AAA Grade Tiger Maple turning blanks. Nice stuff, ain't gonna buy more dowels, just turning blanks for accuracy.

They are in the Key of D, I'm not really sure what to call them flutes or something else because there only 14 inches long lol, :laughing:but they sound good so I make them.

Also I got my guitar going, found all the parts I need and My neck which I can not build is being made by Warmoth, Ebony Fretboard, Maple Neck which will most likely be staind Brown or Black.

The Body of the guitar will be made out of Maple and I'm not sure what color I will stain that yet leaning toward a brown color, I'm going to use Mohawk Stains.

This guitar project is going to cost a small fortune like $1,000:eek:
Are you on the yahoo flute makers list? There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on there.

Also, a good simple system (6 hole, one key) Irish flute in hardwood can go anywhere from $500 to $3000 each.

Just saying... :D

Oh, and I'd be happy to QC any flutes you make. :thumbsup:

John

·
Give me some more wood
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope not on the yahoo list, I just started out so these are my very first ones that are going to be finished well, I do have a blog its http://dreamwakesmind.blogspot.com if anyone wants to keep up with what I'm doing, I still have to get sound samples posted on there

I do know that Irish flutes do go for the amounts you described but I don't think my flute is an Irish flute its kind of like an Irish pennywhistle though cause its small yet its a flute lol

I think 100 dollars depending on what I paid for the wood and the time it takes to build is a fair price. I don't want to be too expensive, I know some pennywhistles go for 600!!! I forget the brand that sells them that high of price

I can't make these all the time because I don't have my own shop, I use the shop where my dad works (Dobson Pipe Organ Builders) So I can only go up there after everyone has left and my dad has to go along so I don't get him in trouble.

If QC stands for Quality Control I'm very picky about if a minor thing is wrong its either unsellable or I junk it. So I have very good Quality Control:thumbsup:

I cut the dowels in half and bore them out then glue them back together it's pretty simple process, I still have yet to learn how to make a dowel I get close but not close enough GRRR. So I can't do this full time but would love too!!! I call them Dreamwake Flutes now nobody take that name lol that took forever to come up with.:laughing:

I do have some more dowels coming sometime so I would like to sell those if there not to narrow and everythings good, Still waiting for my Aromatic Cedar which has been like forever maybe he forgot to make them lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure who goes for $600, unless Busman jacked his prices some when I wasn't looking.

I know that the "pennywhistle" is simply a turned dowel that is then bored out and the holes are cut for the fingerings. The art lies in the cutting of the fingerholes to get them all in tune with each other and the making of the head.

Check out Chiff and Fipple, I know you can get in contact with Paul Busman, and IIRC, most of the makers are pretty free with their knowledge. Also, most of the more knowledgeable members are always willing to test out new stuff and give honest feedback on it.

I play flute, whistle and bodhran (My wife does competitive Irish Dance), so anytime I run across a new maker, I'm always interested!

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts