Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just picked some 3/4 birch plywood from Blowes, and the outer layers just under the veneer appear to be some type of particle board/press board substance. Is anyone familiar with this type of plywood? Is it any good? I am just going to used if for an out feed table, so I am not too worried about it for this project.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Looks Like S:sick: I would take it back an get a Baltic Birch piece you will be better off

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
Probably the cheap crappy Chinese made ply, stuff is garbage.
I think that's worse than Chinese plywood. I just had problems with it de-laminating. That's the worst looking stuff I've ever seen. It's starting to look like I'm going to have to start making my own plywood.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
It appears to be a particle board core. For an outfeed table, a wood veneer would accomplish nothing more than an aesthetic appeal. Once the veneer became worn or damaged, exposed edges would get worse, and could inhibit the movement of materials.

A less expensive approach would be to use a white Melamine. Properly supported and edged would provide a very slick surface. Glue would not stick to it. And you can write on it and clean it off at will.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am going to put Formica Laminate on it, so I did not buy for the veneer. I would have gotten MDF, but this is going to be a foldable out feed table that will be attached to a moble saw. The weight of the MDF would be just too much. I wanted a full 3/4 inch, so that is why I got this product. I hind sight, maybe the nominal 23/32 would be been a better choice and saved me 15 dollars.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It appears to be a particle board core. For an outfeed table, a wood veneer would accomplish nothing more than an aesthetic appeal. Once the veneer became worn or damaged, exposed edges would get worse, and could inhibit the movement of materials.

A less expensive approach would be to use a white Melamine. Properly supported and edged would provide a very slick surface. Glue would not stick to it. And you can write on it and clean it off at will.

+1 on the melamine.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Melamine would have the particle core....just like what you bought. I wouldn't use mdf either.
There are many grades of "particle board". Some sheet goods are available with what's called "Southern Industrial Particleboard". It's very dense, and comprised of very small particles. Visually different than other goods... some called "flakeboard", "chipboard", or "underlayment".

It's very flat and smooth. It's ideal for veneering.

·
Registered
527 Posts
There are many grades of "particle board". Some sheet goods are available with what's called "Southern Industrial Particleboard". It's very dense, and comprised of very small particles. Visually different than other goods... some called "flakeboard", "chipboard", or "underlayment".

It's very flat and smooth. It's ideal for veneering.

I agree. The stuff you buy from the box stores (around here at least) would be particle core.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Melamine would have the particle core....just like what you bought. I wouldn't use mdf either.

It may be hard to tell in the picture, but only the outer to layers are particle board. It is not a full particle board core like melamine.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FYI...the particle board layers are about 1/8 inch each. My guess it is a technique to get a very flat surface that you cannot get with conventional plywood.

·
Registered
527 Posts
FYI...the particle board layers are about 1/8 inch each. My guess it is a technique to get a very flat surface that you cannot get with conventional plywood.
You're probably right. For some reason the pics aren't showing on my phone.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts