Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello wonderful folks of internet land. I know everyone likes 2x4 projects and with the weather warming up I thought it would be a good time to make a 2x4 bench tutorial. I have been selling this same bench for about 4 years now locally. People love them and they are easy to make. That's a win-win in my book. Here is a video tutorial for the bench. Click the link in the YouTube description to go to the full tutorial where you can download a free set of plans for the bench and side table. I hope you guys (and gals) can make a few extra bucks off of this!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

Are you using wall studs or what type of wood for the 2X4 exactly???

What's the best way to stain / finish / seal something like this for outdoor use?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posting this.

Are you using wall studs or what type of wood for the 2X4 exactly???

What's the best way to stain / finish / seal something like this for outdoor use?

Thanks in advance.
I use 8' pine 2x4s. NOT pre cut studs. They are slightly shorter.

I use Thompsons Water Sealer (sometimes a tinted version to add color) in a cheap walmart pump garden sprayer. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes and brush out any bubbles and drips.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again.

Are the pine 2X4 pieces kiln dried? Or do you buy green wood?
The bench in this video was made with Lowes dried wood. I sometimes use #4 lumber at a local lumber yard. You can use green or dried wood. It doesn't matter much as long as you properly treat it for the weather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts