Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second project, my first dovetail work (with pc jig, not by hand). Also my first time finishing the wood too. Learned a lot doing it, like changing the depth on the pins will cause you to need to re-trim everything so get it right the first time & keep it consistent. Also got to use my dado blades cutting a rabbet for the box bottom. Since it was a last minute gift for a friend I also used Jays Customs idea about toner image transfer & that worked out pretty well, though I learned to always tape down the shortest side of the graphic, not the longest. All in all far from an amazing piece of work, but a great learning experience & a good enough gift especially w/ the personalized lid. :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Thomas. I used a minwax pre-stain conditioner, followed by rustoleum light walnut stain, did the toner-transfer lettering then coated it all w/ spray shellac. Didn't really know much other than what was listed on each can, but it seemed to work out ok.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nice work. :thumbsup:

Some people actually prefer to make the tails and pins just a tad long and trim them after the glue dries. So I suppose either way it correct unless you are making half blind dove tails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts