Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went into a Pottery Barn a while back, and they had a console that was made to look like an old work bench. They were asking $1,700, I believe. Of course, none of the vices worked. It was all faux. A lot smaller than the one you pictured too. I couldn't believe it! You can get a really nice new workbench for less than that! A real, used one should be a lot less!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
It's on the east coast...marketed I antique people....I wouldn't be all that surprised.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
gideon said:
how many times did they say its oak and dovetailed????? sheesh.

nice bench tho - for about $350-500
Sheesh indeed. I think my brain is wired to be immediately repulsed by anything that is written in all caps.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
rustbucket said:
I went into a Pottery Barn a while back, and they had a console that was made to look like an old work bench. They were asking $1,700, I believe. Of course, none of the vices worked. It was all faux. A lot smaller than the one you pictured too. I couldn't believe it! You can get a really nice new workbench for less than that! A real, used one should be a lot less!
"There's a sucker born every minute"
Barnum

"There's an ass for every seat"
Used car salesman

"Some people have more dollars than sense"
Unknown

Reactions: Wiggins360

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
To be fair....if you didn't know anything about woodworking...that's probably not a terrible price for a mo end piece of furniture of that's the look your going for.

I've been in a lot of furniture stores the last few weeks as we were looking for a new couch (I haven't figured out how to build one yet...lol) and crappy pressed board furniture is expensive. It cracks me up when you see the supposed end grain of a board that looks like face grain...and there's no veneer...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Your right Ryan.

As woodworkers its easy to criticize.

My first thought was "Hell, I'd build that for half the price and it'd be functional.

That being said the buyer will pay the price with money they've earned and as long as they're happy...

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I have some friends that couldn't build that with 10000 dollars worth of tools........for them......2500 bucks for an antique furniture piece is a bargain!!!

That said....its kinda ugly if you ask me...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts