Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I first bought my planer and changed the blades, I used the factory knife setting jig which seemed to work, then I bought a set of planer pals and a rotacator thinking that it has to be easier to set the blades.

I put my first set in after aligning the Planer Pals and checked the alignment, WAY too far off so I started over and eventually got them good, this was repeated exactly two other times with the same results.

I then bought some adjustable ones (I can't remember the name right now), thinking that this would solve the problem, but the same thing was happening and it was taking me FOREVER to change knives.

I finally said piss on it and left it apart for three days so I could cool down. When I went back to it, I removed all of the blades and checked the drum and it was perfect. I then got to inspecting the drum and found this...

View attachment 74716

When I would tighten the setting bolts the corners of the bolts would hit on the bottom of the drum ultimately lifting when it did which was causing the blades to come out of alignment.

Have any of you had this problem or should I get ahold of Grizzly and alert them?

Here is my fix for it for now, three layers of blue painters tape.

View attachment 74717

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
goXtreme said:
When I first bought my planer and changed the blades, I used the factory knife setting jig which seemed to work, then I bought a set of planer pals and a rotacator thinking that it has to be easier to set the blades.

I put my first set in after aligning the Planer Pals and checked the alignment, WAY too far off so I started over and eventually got them good, this was repeated exactly two other times with the same results.

I then bought some adjustable ones (I can't remember the name right now), thinking that this would solve the problem, but the same thing was happening and it was taking me FOREVER to change knives.

I finally said piss on it and left it apart for three days so I could cool down. When I went back to it, I removed all of the blades and checked the drum and it was perfect. I then got to inspecting the drum and found this...

image-1197177587.jpg

When I would tighten the setting bolts the corners of the bolts would hit on the bottom of the drum ultimately lifting when it did which was causing the blades to come out of alignment.

Have any of you had this problem or should I get ahold of Grizzly and alert them?

Here is my fix for it for now, three layers of blue painters tape.

image-2401957009.jpg

Sent from my iPhone
Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can do that now that I put the tape underneath the wedgie thing, all four blades are now within .001 of each other.

I suppose I should have stated that I was more letting people know rather than looking for help, I should have stated that in my post.

It actually took me about 45 minutes to swap them this morning.

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts