Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, My current quandary is trying to find 2 part wood bleach. I need very little. But it has become very difficult to find a source in Minnesota that will sell this product. I can find a few online vendors that will sell a 2 gallon kit, but what I need is a pint kit. I assume the legions of wood finishers can help to direct me to a source.

·
Registered
26,329 Posts
I believe the last two part bleach I bought I got at home depot. I don't really see the point in it. It's only a little bit more effective than Clorox bleach made for clothes that you can get anywhere.

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
You must have got a bad batch Steve. 2 part wood bleach is powerful stuff. It will turn walnut bone white with 2 or 3 applications, just don't get any on you. From what I read on one site Kleen Strip discontinued their 1 quart size and only make it in gallon kits now.

·
Registered
26,329 Posts
You must have got a bad batch Steve. 2 part wood bleach is powerful stuff. It will turn walnut bone white with 2 or 3 applications, just don't get any on you. From what I read on one site Kleen Strip discontinued their 1 quart size and only make it in gallon kits now.
What brand do you use? I know over the years I've tried several and haven't been impressed.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
What brand do you use? I know over the years I've tried several and haven't been impressed.
I've been thinking about why you might have not had good results.The 2 part bleach comes in two separate containers. You can't apply part "A", and then on top of that apply part "B". The two parts need to be mixed together before application.

·
Registered
26,329 Posts
I've been thinking about why you might have not had good results.The 2 part bleach comes in two separate containers. You can't apply part "A", and then on top of that apply part "B". The two parts need to be mixed together before application.

It's been so long since I've used the two part bleach, I can't remember how it was used but I can assure you it was done according to label instructions. I've just never had an occasion where clorox didn't work for my so I quit trying to use the two part bleach.

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
It depends on the brand. In some states now if you mix the 2 together they gel instantly, ruining the entire mix. Something about consumer safety I'm sure. I have used them separately and they worked fine as well but I also like mixing them together first. Steve you may have got a really old batch that didn't work anymore. Definitely MUCH more powerful than Clorox orOxalic Acid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi lacman,
I don’t know just how far from Alexandria you live… but there is a Mega Store franchise called Menards, they carry Zinsser Wood Bleach Kit:

Model Number: 42138 | Menards® SKU: 5619085

It comes in 8oz bottles (part A & B) for around $7.00, the problem is I don’t think they will ship it; I had to drive 35 Miles one way to pick it up!! If you know someone close to the store, have them pick it up and send it to you.

The address for Manards is:

215 50th Avenue
West Alexandria, MN 56308

Or search for “Zinsser Wood Bleach Kit” or “Zinsser 2- part Wood Bleach Kit”
I bought 2 just because it's getting so hard to find the 8oz kits!

Hope this helps
RocNap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts