Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first is spalted sweetgum about 13.5" x 5" deep, turned green and finished with pure tung oil. I roughed this blank from clean wood last spring and buried it in leaves and shavings until last week. Not the most beautiful spalting but hopefully at least one shopper will like it.
The second is cedar elm about 14"x5". I turned it months ago but was bothered by the tool marks/tearout/bruising/whatever causes that discoloration on the inside curve so it has just been taking up shelf space. I finally put some GF Salad Bowl Finish on it and decided its ok to sell. Let me know if you think otherwise. Honestly.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with either of those bowls. Just curious, and feel free not to answer, but how much would you expect to get for either of those bowls?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Nice bowls :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Agree that the spalting is kinda different on the 1st bowl---guess that's what makes it art. Think maybe a little card in the bowl explaining spalting will generate more interest/questions--in terms of what Nature gives.
Don't think you'll have any problems getting them sold.
I've got a 14-15" mesquite on the lathe--lots of character--inlay pending......
Dave H

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sawdustfactory said:
I don't see anything wrong with either of those bowls. Just curious, and feel free not to answer, but how much would you expect to get for either of those bowls?
I'll probably ask $115 for the sweetgum and $150 for the NE elm. I personally think the sweetgum is a better bowl based on what I like and what I'm trying to produce but folks seam to like these big bark edged pieces. Keep in mind that pricing is pretty much a stab in the dark for me and that I am not pressured to move a lot of bowls. I have been able to sell just enough to keep up with my less that speedy production rate so far. I'd love to hear comments on pricing.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Ooooh, we think alike on pricing. :yes:
Think around here--would have to go a little lower on the 1st bowl, dead on for the CE. Besides there's always the asking price and the selling price. If folks want something I've got displayed, 99% of the time they just pay what I have it marked--and I'm not low (according to my club guys).
Dave H

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.