Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had 410sq ft of new WO flooring laid in the new kitchen. First coat of finish goes on today. Giving a careful look I find about 25 boards with any qtr sawn pattern and I know what I am looking at. Most of those are shorties. The fellow who laid the floor did an excellent job. There isn't much to be done at this point, but I am going to have the vendor out to discuss what I would call the mis-representation of the product. I would think that buying a combination like this that you should be able to expect at least a 25% mix one pattern to another. I won't persue this beyond the conversation, but if I don't have my say it will aggravate me every time I walk on it. This is a cautionary tale to make sure you ask more detailed questions than I did. I do expect the floor to look great.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not many customers would even know what they are looking at. They might notice that some grain patterns are small lines and straight while others seem to look like flame patterns. I find it hard to believe that any flooring company would cull the boards to give you a certain percentage of one type or the other, but I can see where some people may demand one type of cut over the other. Then, I guess unloading the unwanted pieces to an unsuspecting customer would be the unethical thing to do.

Who would think to go through the stack of boards before they are laid to inspect what the floor will look like by the grain pattern and color of the board? Not many customers I know of.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts