Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a birdhouse ornament that I made after seeing a demo at the local wood turner's club. Bottom portion is walnut and top is sweet gum.

It was my first time turning walnut and I think I fell in love. Definitely seemed like the easiest wood I've turned so far.

Anyone have recommendations on other woods that turn nicely and won't break my bank?

Christmas ornament Tree Christmas Birdhouse Christmas tree

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good job. I make about 200 birdhouses a year. I would think that you could get mesquite at a fair price. I use all kinds of wood.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good job. I make about 200 birdhouses a year. I would think that you could get mesquite at a fair price. I use all kinds of wood.
Wow, that's a lot of bird houses. I got a question for you. At what stage do you drill the hole? I did mine at the end which I'm thinking I should have done earlier so I could clean up any tear out from the drill.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I drill my hole last as I put the hole where it best shows the grain. I also align the roof for best grain pattern. I also put a purch on my houses and some times attach a bird. If you use a sharp drill and a slow speed you won't get tear out.

I use a bottle stopper mandrel to hold the house and when I am done I put a finial in the hole or I mount it on a pole type stand.

I will take some pictures and post them later today.

Jack

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very cool! I've not seen a long finial like that on a bird house before. Looks good.

nice ornament:thumbsup:
Cherry turns really nice too:yes:
Sadly I wasn't experienced back when I turned the cherry you had given me so I wasn't able to fully enjoy the cutting quality.

·
Registered
281 Posts
+1 on the cherry...turns real nice! Also, maple did pretty well, and I recently made my wife some candle holders out of Bradford Pear limbs...easy to turn and very pretty!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts