Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a birdhouse ornament that I made after seeing a demo at the local wood turner's club. Bottom portion is walnut and top is sweet gum.

It was my first time turning walnut and I think I fell in love. Definitely seemed like the easiest wood I've turned so far.

Anyone have recommendations on other woods that turn nicely and won't break my bank?

20131211_185053.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good job. I make about 200 birdhouses a year. I would think that you could get mesquite at a fair price. I use all kinds of wood.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good job. I make about 200 birdhouses a year. I would think that you could get mesquite at a fair price. I use all kinds of wood.
Wow, that's a lot of bird houses. I got a question for you. At what stage do you drill the hole? I did mine at the end which I'm thinking I should have done earlier so I could clean up any tear out from the drill.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I drill my hole last as I put the hole where it best shows the grain. I also align the roof for best grain pattern. I also put a purch on my houses and some times attach a bird. If you use a sharp drill and a slow speed you won't get tear out.

I use a bottle stopper mandrel to hold the house and when I am done I put a finial in the hole or I mount it on a pole type stand.

I will take some pictures and post them later today.

Jack

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very cool! I've not seen a long finial like that on a bird house before. Looks good.

nice ornament:thumbsup:
Cherry turns really nice too:yes:
Sadly I wasn't experienced back when I turned the cherry you had given me so I wasn't able to fully enjoy the cutting quality.

·
Registered
281 Posts
+1 on the cherry...turns real nice! Also, maple did pretty well, and I recently made my wife some candle holders out of Bradford Pear limbs...easy to turn and very pretty!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts