Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my 1st project was a request by my sister-in-law for my niece's birthday. It was a plan she found on http://ana-white.com/ & pretty simple, but my 1st go at things w/ a couple proper tools it looked like a good way to get started learning to use everything. Here are some pictures (wood unfinished, not sure yet how she'd like it painted), mistakes & all ;)

Though the plans didn't call for it, I used a round over bit to smooth the exterior edges as you can see on one of the photos, after all my niece is three and very rambunctious. I also learned to be a little more cautious when routing the end grain on the domed tops of the sides, there's a picture of the tearout i sanded down a bit. Also learned to think the ENTIRE project through as the plans said you could add a shelf & could even add a lip to keep things from falling off, i thought that would be a nice touch, but looked a little awkward w/ the domed sides.

The domed sides them selves I had to cut off close to dimension w/ the table saw's mitre gauge & then finish w/ a flush trim bit on the router table as those are really the only two tools I've got (no band saw or even jig saw.) I couldn't cut a template so i found a thin plastic disc to use as a template that was about the right size for the dome shape i needed & tried my best to center it, though in the future i'll find a better way to center it & spend more time on functions like that. For the second side i used the 1st as my template & that was much easier than the probably 1/8" thick plastic disc i tried to keep on the bearing for the 1st one.

I did also notice as you can see a bit where the top shelf joins the side, that my side pieces were not flat from end to end and bowed out a bit. While both clamps i have were not long enough to compress the sides while screwing it, I used a large patio stone to press them together while re-screwing and that got a much tighter fit.

Any way, that's project number one. Far from perfect, but hey it's for a 3-yr old who probably won't notice until she's at least 4. :thumbsup: I learned a lot & if i can ask one question, what would be the best way to flatten a board along it's width? A planer? Thanks for any input,
~Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
Everyone here started with there first project and only learn from there. It goes a lot smoother the longer you do it but the best things you'll learn is how to hide your mistakes.

Looks good and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks & yes, making something for my niece who won't notice those things was a perfect opportunity. I definitely learned a lot in the process! :yes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts