Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Looking for comments / suggestions here. Overall I’m happy with this 1st attempt.

This is a sample of maple finished with:

2 coats of India Ink (flooded, wait 1 min, the wiped off).

1 Coat GF seal a cell

5 Coats GF wipe on gloss poly

1 Coat GF wipe on semi gloss poly

Final buff with steel wool / wax

I think I can skip the seal a cell step. I’m not sure if it adds anything with the ink being applied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When adding depth to birdseye maple I use a very weak solution of ferrous sulfate. You have to get it at a chemical supply company...there are tons of them on the internet. A few ounces will last a lifetime. It's also poisonous...but the body does not like a whole lot of finishing chemicals to begin with. What it does is react to tannins in the wood of some species. It will blacken maple and oak...not as dark as you have done, but it might be a good first coat to conceal the lightness of the wood under your finish. It's just a thought, perhaps something you would be interested in trying since you are experimenting.

·
Andrew Close
280 Posts
looks like you're getting black wood :smile:

question for the experts: 'is there a way to get a black finish like this and still expose the grain?'

not to knock Nickbee since he's after a particular look. but i don't see the point in staining a nice piece of Maple black (or any nice hardwood) and not being able to see the detail of the wood. could you achieve the same results with Pine or another cheaper wood?

·
Registered
129 Posts
looks like you're getting black wood :smile:

question for the experts: 'is there a way to get a black finish like this and still expose the grain?'

I'v done this with black paint. Brush it on and wipe it off. The more you wipe off the more grain will show. Then just seal and finish with a compatable finish.

·
flatiron
71 Posts
black finish (ebonizing)

you can put steel wool in a mixture of equal parts water and vinegar, let soak for 2 weeks. the lid has to breath as it makes hydrogen gases.
strain then brush on. woods with more tannen work best. presand as it will raise the grain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts