Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a commission to turn a bowl out of customer supplied Osage. After half a bottle of ca, several trips out of the chuck along with flights across the shop, a broken tool rest and more sanding than I want to remember I finally got it done.

I turned it as an illusion, one bowl stacked in the other but it is just one bowl.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Quite a nice bowl from a very difficult wood.

I can certainly empathize with your turning experience!

In HS, way back when, I turned a lamp from a log of Osage (we called it Hedge). I can't recall how many times if flew off but, the most memorable was when it went through the shop window.
It's been in my parents house (now my sister's) since 1958. Has turned quite dark brown and developed a full length crack. It's one HEAVY lamp.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Beautiful bowl. I recently acquired several Osage orange logs after a recent tornado. I've made several pens that turned out well and was hoping for some bowls after the wood dries. I'm a rookie turner, and now you've put the fear of god in me about turning some bowls. Any tips other than sharp tools and full body armor?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I must be lucky. The bowls, etc that I've made with Bois d'Arc haven't givens problems, 'crept for sanding. Live Oak is way tougher.
Nice bowl- btw.
Dave H.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I turn Osage often. I don't find it a problem at all. I sharpen often and have tools that hold a good edge. I use cutting tools, not scrapers. It's a great wood. I have 2 logs of it right now.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Chalk it up to a bad piece of Osage but don't give up on the species. It's one of my favorites to turn. It cuts clean and polishes up so nice it hardly needs a finish. Having said that, I've only turned it green. Dry may be a different story.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beautiful bowl. I recently acquired several Osage orange logs after a recent tornado. I've made several pens that turned out well and was hoping for some bowls after the wood dries. I'm a rookie turner, and now you've put the fear of god in me about turning some bowls. Any tips other than sharp tools and full body armor?
The sharp tools are the trick. Don't bother with carbides at least with the osage I have. I will still use it for calls it is a classic and as the other guys said beautiful wood. The sanding was my fault since I had tool marks to remove but it sanded great and at 800 grit was like glass. Clear stain and only 2 coats of Deft to get that shine.

Thanks everyone. I have some spalted walnut bowls to post too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Well done on the bowl something different. One question how did the tool rest break and what lathe are you using. I see one your profile you are a master water colorist would love to see you use that talent and color some turnings Regards Tambotie

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Well done on the bowl something different. One question how did the tool rest break and what lathe are you using. I see one your profile you are a master water colorist would love to see you use that talent and color some turnings Regards Tambotie
Tool rest broke when I got a catch using one of my big carbides. I was out near the end and the torque was too much. I was on my HF 10x18 mini.

I have been thinking about coloring some of the wood I just need to look at the tints and break out my airbrush. I'm also a master level painter with that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts