Woodworking Talk banner

1978 C65 Fire Truck

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Kirk Allen 
#1 ·
We are selling our 1978 C65 Chevy Fire truck. Its like new with only 4000 miles on it.

Its short notice and probably will be gone by Monday as we already have one bid that is acceptable but figured I would throw it out here just in case.

Current offer is $7000.00

It has been very well taken care of and the person who made this offer is going to strip it for the chasie and make a dump bed grain truck out of it.

It runs like a grape ape and would make a awesome truck for either firefighting or conversion to a dump or straigt bed truck.

750 gpm front mount direct drive pump (pump and roll capable)
1000 gallon tank
427 Big Block
5 Speed manual with 2 speed rear end
4000 orginal miles!

PM me if your serious as this may not be available after Monday of next week.

See less See more
#3 ·
Jeez, it would be worth more than that in "parts".

I reckon this was ran in an ad for smaller local municipalities to have a shot at? That looks like a nice truck for the money. We have a 60's model that still goes out regularly, saved alot of property...more importantly some lives.

#4 ·
Its Definatly worth more in parts in my opinion. They have to sell it for no less than 80% of its appriased value according to the law and several fire truck dealers appraised it at $8500-$9000.

We have not ran any adds yet. The Township board meets tomarrow moning and they have shown an interest in it and one local farmer. Pretty much just word of mouth. The trustees saw no need to run an add which cost them money when they knew the could get the minimum asking price without doing much of anything.

It will make someone a very nice truck. If I had the extra cash laying around I would jump on it but having just purchased the Biomizer sawdust burner the timing is off.

#6 ·
Being a retired firefighter, im thinking thats one hell of a great deal.

Consider the price of scrap metal, I could purchase that rig, strip her down and sell the scrap the metal.

Do you know who was the mfg of the unit. The pump can be resold and reused. Im assuming that the water tank is all steel also.

If the twp. board accepts that bid..............wow. I believe they should re-evalute their thoughts on this one.

Mike

#10 ·
We sold the truck last month. The township got into a bidding war with a local farmer and we got $8000 out of it. It was a true jem of a truck.

Kansas, Illinois is 13 miles east of Charelston, IL.

Marko I will get pics of the 56 for you. We will sell it in May. It is MINT! It has just under 4000 original miles and one super tiny scratch on the drivers fender. No rust on any of the chassis but the aftermarket water tank does have rust.

#11 ·
Here are the pics of the 56. Turns out its a straight six but not a flathead six. ALL original! and in awesome condition. Two speed rear end as well. It has a 800 gallon water tank (aftermarket in 1956) and two booster reels (one on each side) and a 250 gpm PTO pump that is fully functional.

It will go up for sale after May first and the trustees have said the bidding is going to start at no less than $3500.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.