Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this lane cedar chest as a gift from the original owner. She said they didn't do anything except remove the lock because of the recall.

It has a laminate top. I didn't know lane ever made them in laminate and the grain pattern/color doesn't quite match the bottom 100%. I looked at pics online but didn't see another like this one. Emailed Lane hoping for original pics but haven't heard back yet.

This unit does have wheels and all original hardware but the wheels were removed for transport. It's 51" long.

It's style# is 2902-77 and was made 3/15/68 in factory 2. Any ideas on what you would do with this piece or another place I can find an original pic? The original owner is packing for a nursing home move so her pics aren't an option right now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I didn't think she was incorrect but I hadn't seen any of them and odd that it doesn't match the natural wood better than it does.

·
Registered
27,908 Posts
If you just want to recover the top, you could fill the corner with bondo and sand flat. Then roughen the surface of the laminate with a belt sander if you have one. I like using a 40 grit belt. Then most lumber companies that sell counter tops will special order sheets of laminate for you. Just cut it about 3/4" wider and longer than the top and apply it with contact cement. You coat both the top and the laminate and let it thoroughly dry. Then lay some sticks or dowel rods across the top with about 6" between and lay the laminate across it. When you get it aligned pull the dowel out of the center and press the laminate onto the top. Then work from the middle out pulling out the dowels laying the laminate down. After you get all the rods out use a roller and apply as much pressure as you can rolling it down. If you don't have a roller you can use a rubber mallet but be sure you don't break off what laminate is hanging over. After you get it applied the excess can be trimmed off with a router.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same questions!

I googled the Style # of a chest that I just got and this thread is the only thing that came up. I have the same exact questions! I like the bottom of the chest but the dark "paneling" look on the top takes away from this piece. What did you end up doing to your piece?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts