Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking for some input

my co-worker's husband has a planer jointer from the late 60s.

Still works, cosmetically seems to be in pretty damn good condition other than some mild rusting on the top.

He is selling it for less than 100 bucks.

Should I but it?

it's a 6" jointer

would it be easy to replace the blades/knives when and if needed or have blades changed so dramatically over the decades finding replacements would be impossible?

·
where's my table saw?
28,569 Posts
I've had one for years

It will have only one movable table, the infeed. It will have a round chrome knob that turns to raise or lower the infeed. The knives are easily accessible to replace and not expensive. It should have a 1 HP motor. Yes, it's worth about $100.00 or so. It's dirt simple, motor, belt, stand, and machine with 2 bearings also easy to replace.
It's been my main small jointer for all those years until I got another about 3 years ago.

Reactions: Orange Crush

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Can I expect a fairly clean cut from an older power tool?

I am aware of some chip out which I experienced from wood shop class which if I remember correctly, is more due to the wood itself and not knives (assuming they are not damaged).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Craftsman Jointer/Planer

As stated before, the machine is bare bones simple...just what you want. I bought mine new and am still using it. Works fine. Like any jointer, if you have the knives (there are 3 here) adjusted properly you will get a cut as smooth as glass.

Best of luck,

Bandman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts