Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Craftsman table saw (mod 115.19320, mfr's no S-7847).

It has a 1/3 hp motor with a double pulley system. Overall it is in fairly good condition, cast iron bed is flat as is its one cast iron wing. The fence, unfortunately, is not in very usable condition.

I am trying to determine if upgrading to a state of the art(?) fence is worth the money. I have been looking at new fences and the Vega Pro 40 has caught my eye, but I haven't explored the used market yet.

Also, would anyone know if putting a slightly newer/more powerful motor on it is feasible?

It runs fine at the moment, but I have bogged it down cutting some ash and maple boards.

I appreciate any advice you might have,

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Do you have any sentimental attachment to it?

If not...I'd look for a 113 series craftsman that with a 1-1.5 hp motor should run you around 100-150 bucks with a stock fence. (They'll say 3hp on the front....ignore that)

Then I'd spend about 200 on a delta t2 fence, or the vega.

You'll have a more capable saw, for about the same as upgrading the motor and fence on your current one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I inherited it from my wife's father, so although I haven't invested any sentiment in the saw, I am pretty sure I will find out if she has!

That said, I'm not that familiar with the Sears line of saws and suspected that this model was under-powered. I am in no rush to do anything with it as my primary tool is a Shopsmith, which is working fine. I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The motor plate says 10 amps, which would be pretty stout for 1/3hp....are you sure it's not 3/4hp? Blade selection and alignment are big contributors to cutting power, as well as motor power. The selection of good 9" blades is way more limited than 10" blades.

How deep is the table from front to back? If it's less than 27", your selection of good aftermarket fences will be more limited too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
mod 115.19320 is for the motor only and it should be a 3/4 hp. what you need to do is look at the very rear of the saw base for the model number it will start with 113.?????. I have a very simular saw and is a 8" saw a 10" would be better but if you are just going to use it for home work an 8" will be fine. I put a delta T2 fence on a 1955 craftsman saw and it made a world of difference.

Brian Milner

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
If that's a 3/4 hp I would say your about right. Bigger is better on hp though. Run a thin kerf blade and if need be you can size down to a 8 inch blade. You can do a lot with that saw without breaking the bank. You can build some wings. I wouldn't spend money on a new fence but that's just me. Is your fence broken?

If and when you upgrade to a bigger saw you will be glade if you don't have much money in that one.
Myself I enjoy those old machines. You got a good one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knotscott: you are correct, the motor is a 3/4hp. Not sure what I was thinking when I mentioned 1/3!!?

The table is 24" deep and 27" wide with the right wing included. I know that adding a fence that relies on a rear support would be a problem but I'm a Rube Goldberg of sorts so that issue doesn't worry me.

I put a 9" carbide combo blade on it a few years ago which has worked out fine. I have found that if I want a decent replacement for it, I will have to go premium as most high end companies still make 9". Usually have to order them, though.

Bisley45: I will have to look the saw over carefully, as my previous attempts at finding the model # were limited to the motor. Is the saw in your photo the 1955 Craftsman? I only ask as it looks like it should be a lot younger than mine.

Dandan111: The fence is not broken per se, but the micro-adjust is worn enough that it slips constantly and the fence doesn't seem to want to stay aligned. I have added a wooden fence front and shimmed it to get it close, but my guess is that the fence was removed and dropped a few too many times.

Overall, I hate to give up on a tool like this. I certainly don't have $3K or more for a SawStop.

I believe that I am going to build a new stand for it as well as a left side table with material I have laying around. I will take a look at the Delta T2 as well as shop eBay and Craigslist for parts or a replacement.

I will post updates on what I do in case anyone is interested.

Really appreciate the info and opinions, guys. Glad I joined the forum!

Scott Sante

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Before spending any money for upgrades for this saw, I'd at least take a quick look on Craigslist to see if there are any great deals on an upgraded saw. Ya never know....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bisley45: I will have to look the saw over carefully, as my previous attempts at finding the model # were limited to the motor. Is the saw in your photo the 1955 Craftsman? I only ask as it looks like it should be a lot younger than mine.

Yes it is a 1955 model here is what it looked like when I got it. but this one is a 10" saw sorry I didn't point that out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Craftsman Vintage Table Saw

Hi, I have a Craftsman table saw (mod 115.19320, mfr's no S-7847).

It has a 1/3 hp motor with a double pulley system. Overall it is in fairly good condition, cast iron bed is flat as is its one cast iron wing. The fence, unfortunately, is not in very usable condition.

I am trying to determine if upgrading to a state of the art(?) fence is worth the money. I have been looking at new fences and the Vega Pro 40 has caught my eye, but I haven't explored the used market yet.

Also, would anyone know if putting a slightly newer/more powerful motor on it is feasible?

It runs fine at the moment, but I have bogged it down cutting some ash and maple boards.

I appreciate any advice you might have,
I inherited my fathers Craftsman table saw. Very similar. Why do you think it is 1/3 hp? Mine has a 3/4hp double shaft. Unless somebody changed it out. Also, you will notice it says capacitor start. So does mine. But, there are no capacitors. It is split phase motor with a built in starting winding. Do not get rid of this motor. They literally "Don't make them like this any more". Take it to a reputable motor shop and have it reconditioned if you don't thing you can do it yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts