Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always hesitate to ask about specific tools because i know they can usually be found somewhere in the forums but this is an older saw that i couldnt find much on. This is a 1952 craftsman saw on Craigslist: http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/tls/4246404725.html Is it worth it to get? Do the older Craftsman saws have the same issues some of the lower end ones do now as far as miter slots not being universal, etc? Is this a saw worth getting? I know what I want but I also know what I can afford and those don't necessarily match up. Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Do you know if that is an 8" model? The motor size leads me to believe that it may be. I have an old 10" Craftsman and I love it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My powrkraft 8 inch saw was underpowered with a 1/2 HP. 3/4 HP makes a big difference. $150 seems high for my area. Maybe priced high for yours also?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering about the 1/2 HP. This is my first saw so I'm not sure what HP I need as I'm pretty much a beginner. I wasn't sure about the price being high or not since I don't know much about older saws like that. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great find with the Rigid. Looks like he just posted it. Table saws are coming out of the woodwork in Charleston now. I'd love to ask about that Craftsman but I have an Accord. Not going to happen. In fact, there's a guy in the Myrtle Beach area selling two Unisaws for $400 each if anyone is in that area. I think he's trying to clear out a shop that he inherited.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Great find with the Rigid. Looks like he just posted it. Table saws are coming out of the woodwork in Charleston now. I'd love to ask about that Craftsman but I have an Accord. Not going to happen. In fact, there's a guy in the Myrtle Beach area selling two Unisaws for $400 each if anyone is in that area. I think he's trying to clear out a shop that he inherited.
Rent a truck from Lowes or HD for $20, and buy the best saw you can ...they're not too hard to move. :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that plus a wife plus rewiring the garage. I think its a little much for a beginner at this point. Maybe one day.

I heard back about the Craftsman. He told me it's an eight inch saw. Even if I can talk him down a little, is there any disadvantage to a smaller saw? I just assumed they were all 10 inch saws. I don't anticipate needing to saw anything huge but then I don't even know if that is what the diameter dictates.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Smaller saw = less blade height. That saw would be fine if the price was right and it had a bigger motor. You will see 8 inch (8 1/4 saws). 9 inch and 10 inch saws. Stay away from direct drive(no belt type).

I dont think that 1/2 hp will be what you want.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
...I heard back about the Craftsman. He told me it's an eight inch saw. Even if I can talk him down a little, is there any disadvantage to a smaller saw?
  • Smaller table area....most noticeably in front of the blade
  • fewer blade choices and deals
  • likely a smaller motor
  • less mass

All you ever wanted to know about table saws, and then some....start here.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That's too high of a price. I've seen them around here from $20 to $100. Plus, it's only going to serve you for lighter work. I'll have to agree that that's a good price on the rigid.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I always hesitate to ask about specific tools because i know they can usually be found somewhere in the forums but this is an older saw that i couldnt find much on. This is a 1952 craftsman saw on Craigslist: http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/tls/4246404725.html Is it worth it to get? Do the older Craftsman saws have the same issues some of the lower end ones do now as far as miter slots not being universal, etc? Is this a saw worth getting? I know what I want but I also know what I can afford and those don't necessarily match up. Just curious. Thanks.
I'm not surprised you couldn't find much information about the saw and one would think listings on Craig's must cost a dollar / word and $5.00 / photo as reluctant as sellers are to provide information.

The motor on that saw will be 1/2 HP @ 3450 RPM around 6.2 amps. and the blade speed will be around 3,700 - 3,800 RPM. With a thin kerf blade it will easily rip cut 1-1/2" pine but struggle with 2" + maple etc.

It's difficult for me to tell by the pic but looks as if the saw may be tilt table rather than tilting arbor so that may be a question that the seller didn't provide any information about and need to ask.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm passing on the craftsman and have reached out twice about the rigid but no response. Maybe its gone. Oh well, I'll keep checking. Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a follow up but I heard back from the guy with the Rigid. I went out and looked at it and bought it. The cast iron has some rust on it so I'm learning about cleaning all of that off. Played with WD-40 and steel wool and tomorrow I get out the orbital sander. The saw wouldn't fit in the Honda so the guy delivered it for me on his trailer. Stand up guy.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
what model ridgid and how much was it? pics, pics, pics please.

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Craftsman table saws are all over CL in the Denver area. Most I have seen claim to be "great running" machines but usually look rough from the pics. I feel lucky to get the one I got. Really was in great shape. I got it for $100 and the guy threw in a drill press. The one I got was 2hp direct drive. 110v which is as big as u can get before going to 240v. Sounds great, cuts straight. But I am curious why the belt drives are considered to be better?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what model ridgid and how much was it? pics, pics, pics please.
RIDGID TS2424 for $175. I was going to offer $150 but then he offered to deliver it so I figured what the heck. We started it up before money changed hands and everything looks nice. This is a before pic and I'm working on the rust and cleaning it up and then I'll post after pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts