Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i posted a version of this elsewhere and just found out about this forum, so here we go.... lots o info here.

Click here for pics

In about 1 week Im taking off 3 days work (and tack on 2 day with the weekend) to repair our porch. I have posted a question or two about this before, but I took a bunch of pictures (link above) that might help clarify.

My plan is to:
-Replace railings and balusters
-Replace steps
-Replace ceiling
-Sand floor where needed
-Remove all crown and dentil, and other moldings as necessary.
-Sand down all surfaces for paint prep
-Rebuild/repair box gutters. They dont slope properly now.

After re-doing the gutters, ill have someone come out and put in the copper/tin.

At the end, Ill have someone come out and prime and paint all. I'm not going to do the painting myself because of how high some of the the painting at the top of the house will be.

For exterior woodwork like this that will be painted, It looks like Ill use standard pine for the moldings and trim and make sure they are all primed up really well. Right now it looks like old 4" beaded boards.

Box gutter repair - I figured it should just be pine.

Steps going up to the porch - I want a hardwood for durability, but it will be painted... I was thinking poplar boards, then just route the ends. something else?

So.... with that said. My questions are:

What material for the ceiling? I am looking at either 1x4 pine tongue & groove flooring that is beaded, or a thinner, maybe 3/8" fir TG beaded boarding. Ill be painting it, so I figure the cheaper would work?

As you can see here: image the bottom rail of the railings seem to be a handrail or something... not sure how ill replicate that.

For the balusters (which are only about 24" long) the best option i can find right now is the standard 2x2 pressure treated ones at home depot. Id prefer thicker ones, but I cant find any.

Any answers, suggestions, or observations?

Click here for pics

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings! Nice Porch and house.

I'm new to the forum but I've done one of these before.
From the photos (especially the one of the left rear end of the ceiling, when you're standing on the porch, at least I think that's the view) it looks like you might have some settling issues.
You might want to check out what's holding it up. If you have structual issues you should address them first or else you'll spend a lot of time and money only to have it shift again later.

:smile: Mr Bill

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mr Bill is right. Go underneath and make sure all is well there. The 3/8" Fir Bead brd. is what I'd use. And I would save as much of the original as possible. In places where needed...I've used West System (Epoxy adhesive, and sealer), and Bondo to fill. 5 days huh? You'll be moving fast. Michael

·
Registered
135 Posts
I perffer cedar. It is a little pricey but will out last the pine. The insects do not like it either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts