Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it arrived, my old but new saw.
Looked good on the web, still looks good here.....

Except:
Have two more holes in the saw blade, than I should have.

Was advertised, Vintage Disston #7 7 TPI no etching visible, but still pulled the trigger on it.
Also noted was one the screws was replaced with a dome style, I do have a replacement split screw from Blackburn Tools on the way.

Was doing a little lite cleanup to see if I could get a etching or a stamp, but none are present...:huh:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm just guessing, but you may have a Disston handle with a substituted saw plate.

Extra holes suggest a handle with different saw nut configuration was originally on the plate.

Additionally, in pictures of the#7 on the Disstonian Institute site all show the tip of the saw cut at a right angle to the bottom of the plate. In your pictures the angle looks somewhat less than 90 degrees.

Your saw is also missing the "nib" on the front of the saw plate.

The plate of your saw is much smaller than those in reference pictures. The bottom of your handle is almost even with the teeth of the saw.

Just for clarification, I am far from an expert on Disston saws and am only basing my opinion on comparing your pictures to those on the Disstonian site. There could have been variations not noted on the site.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I was thinking also.

It is always nice to get another opinion on it. Will keep an eye out for another saw plate of that era.

Bright side, have a nice saw handle, and who knows after the saw plate clean-up it might be a good user. Also gives me a saw to practice sharpening on.

Thanks again...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts