Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Some of you may remember my cedar strip canoe in progress. Well, wait no longer! It is finally done after being worked on a little at a time over a 3 year period. Here's some specs, 16' long, 30" at beam, tandem with solo capabilities. I used western red cedar for the planking with 2 strips of sugar pine for accent. All of the trim is done out of Ash. Some may ask why I didn't opt for caned seats, well the main reason is I really wanted to just get this boat on the water quickly so I used webbing (turned out to be comfortable too.) I do need to adjust the seats. The initial stability as it is called isn't very good, meaning it's very unstable. However, the secondary stability is good, meaning it's really hard to tip over. My girlfriend gets a little squeamish with so much rocking back and forth plus I don't care for it, so I'm going to try correcting it some. Look at the pics and enjoy, let me know if you want closeups of anything. PS, I started this boat when I was 18 years old and had no, i mean no woodworking experience. Now that I have a lot of experience, there is a ton I'd do differently to improve craftsmanship.
Thanks,
Tyler

·
Registered
153 Posts
Beautiful work, nice to see it on the water. I have a cedar strip SUP on the 'want to build list'. This makes me want to do it even more. Great job!

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
It looks great. I've been thinking of doing something like this my self. I have so many things I need to do and so many things I've wanted to do. This is something I would love doing but can't right now. I'm impressed and jealous. It looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Outstanding Canoe looks beautiful :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
That's a gorgeous canoe!! If I was able to make that, I might be tented to go floating just to show it off.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How was the glassing process? From what I've read some resins can be a little finicky in application. Was it a difficult process?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the glassing process was my least favorite part of the whole thing. which is unfortunate because its one of the biggest parts of construction. I am not a fan of the fiberglassing after having done it. That being said, i have a tremendous amount of respect for those who do fiberglass and have a beautiful even coat that is flawless.... which mine is far from.

I feel like I might try the glassing process only one more time, only to make a kayak. After that, I may stick to Adirondack Guideboats which my Grandfather made a ton of. All wood, no glass.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I was a teenager I did a lot of canoeing and enjoyed it greatly. I would have been proud to be seen in something like this. It is a real beauty.

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
Beautiful canoe. I would be worried about scratching it on a sandy lake bottom. Like Old Air Force I did a lot of canoeing with the scouts. Tried it a few years ago and do not have the knees or balance anymore.

It would be nice just to carry on the roof rack just so folks could see it.

George

·
Registered
791 Posts
I am with you on the fiberglass.. I am considering having another go at a Adirondack guide boat myself. I got a good start on one years ago, using the plans for the Virginia from John Gardner but the unavailability of clear doug fir and a disagreement with the proprietor of the lumberyard... Or an ASA Thompson skiff ..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts