Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The drawer was slightly (1/8”) too narrow to start, I shimmed the front and back and now the front slides freely but abruptly stops at the soft close mechanism. I tried adjusting the shim more/less in the back but nothing has helped. I feel like I’m losing my mind over here! I can’t see back behind the drawer to see what exactly is stopping it. First 2 drawers I made worked perfect, this one is going to be the death of me!! 🤣

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
It happens to the best of us and it can be a PITA. TMK it's always an alignment issue. Make sure both slides are 90 to the front.

I've used a bunch of the cheaper ball bearing types in my shop. A few of them have failed completely.

·
Interested Observer
1,146 Posts
I am an amateur and DIYer in every sense of the word. I have only built a few drawer assemblies including a 3 drawer set up under a work bench, a stand for the miter saw and some drawers to fit in void on a machine stand. No expert. I would start by taking every dimension. Check the drawer. Is it square? Are the sides parallel? Is it the same dimension front and back, top and bottom? Are the slides the same height on both sides. Check the void. Using a square determine if both sides are parallel and 90 deg to the front. Use a story stick to determine if the back is the same as the front. Finally are the slides in the void on the same plane? Use a story stick for that too.

I would be surprised if you can't adjust a height and sand or shim your way out of this.

There are guys here that have done far more of this stuff than I have and am sure you will get some creative solution. But, without the information and dimensions these isn't a place to start.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Mpotter,
Okay, on soft close mechanisms, there is a little button that locks it. Pull the drawers all the way out and maybe get a flashlight and poke your head back in there if you can. On the mechanism, look for a little button-like thing protruding out, and it often has a little slot that it is in. Compare it to the ones that are working fine. If it is in the same position, then look at the slide on the other side and check that one. One of them is almost certainly in the lock position and just needs to be pushed to the unlocked position, matching the ones that are working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts