Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Grizzly 15 inch planer with the indexable insert cutter head.
I use it for planing White cedar only. I run a lot of cedar through it at 30 fpm. The finish at 30 fpm is plenty good enough for what I need.
I run 10" material at 1/8" cut depth, 1 pass on each side and I am done. I know I am pushing my unit to the limit as once in a while the internal breaker will trip. I need more HP. The planer has 3hp, I would like 5hp. Does anyone have a suggestion for a more powerful 15" planer that can handle 1/8" inch or at least 3/32" cuts and 30 fpm? All the 5hp planers I see are 20" models and most will not feed that fast. I am running high production and time spent planing is critical.
Thanks

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
I've never seen a 5HP 15" planer

Your 30 ft per min feed rate seems to be limited to the 15" models.
There are 20" models that will feed at 26 ft per minute with 5 HP.
You may be better off to just replace the motor than to get a new planer.

You have 3 requirements: 15" width, 5 horsepower, 30 ft per min. feed rate none of which seem to be available in the same machine from Grizzly.

A Woodmaster has a variable speed feed rate and comes in 5 HP if I recall..
http://woodmastertools.com/725

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did call grizzly about the 5 hp motor. They said it is the same frame size as the 3 hp. The out put shaft is a larger diameter, the pulley would need to be replaced or altered. I would also need the magnetic switch that goes with the 5hp motor. Around $600 would do it. I may give it a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts