Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on making an '11 groove box' like in a relatively recent Roy Underhill episode (link here) for my son to give as a gift.

But... I'm not going the all hand tools route, at least partly because I don't have any kind of plow plane. The basic design is 4 mitered sides with splines, top and bottom inserted in grooves all around, then cut open to form lid, with a tongue inserted in a groove to make a lip... I think that anyone who has made one knows what I'm talking about. Stock will be 2/4 x 6" red oak s4s from HD.

I'm trying to plan the operations with the tools that I have and want to get some advice on whether those who have experience in such things think they are a good approach:

1. Use router table to cut all grooves, including 1/8 around sides for bottom and 1/2" wide groove for the spline that will make the lip and lid.

2. Perhaps I could cut the tongue on the bandsaw and plane down to finished width.

3. Spline making - I could use router to make a little jig to hold the pieces to plane down to size a la Roy. I also have a bandsaw. For the splines I suppose I could try to resaw to the correct thickness and shave off anything required to get the splines to fit. This part of the project seems like a PITA.

4. Cut mitres on power mitre saw, with tongue in place. I have a new Dewalt 40 or 60 tooth (can't remember) blade I can put on. I was planning on holding the stock upright against the fence. I know the miters need to be precise but I'm concerned about splintering on the saw. Thoughts?

5. use router table and a piece of scrap cut at 45 degrees to support sides to cut the 1/8 dado for the spline. The dado is in the end grain; I would have the piece supported by the 45 degree scrap to maintain the correct angle, and the edge of the board would be pushed up against the fence. Does this sound feasible?

6. Cut the box open after gluing to make the lid on the bandsaw., then glue in the tongues.

Finally, any suggestions for adding words to the lid that a 4 year old could participate in making? One thought was tracing over letters with a hammer and nail to make indentations. Other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
7,222 Posts
Was the 2/4 stock a typo? It will not be easy using 2/4 stock and wanting to do the splined mitre joints.

I would prefer to make the mitre cuts on the table saw. If you do not have a jig to hold pieces vertical, this is a good time to make one. Not difficult.

Vertical_cutting_jig_in_postition_1164.jpg

If you put this on the right side of the fence you could also use it for making the slots for the mitres.

I agree the splines with the thin stock will be a PITA. How about using paint stirrers or something already 1/8in thick.

Cutting an 1/8in thick strip is easy. Cutting this to e.g., 1/4in width is the pain. Time for another jig. Rockler and others sell these, but very easy to make.

This picture is with my mitre gauge, but this can be used with the fence, ideally with a clamped piece of wood as auxiliary fence so you can get in with push stick.

Ripping_jig_0819.jpg

Recent thread on auxiliary fence.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/anyone-read-article-l-fence-56712/

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx dave.

I will be using 1/2" stock. Roy uses it, it seems a good thickness for a small box, and hd has s4s stock in that size.

Alas, I do not have a table saw.

If there is a simpler, reasonably attractive alternative joint, is be happy to hear. Dovetails are not on the table right now.

·
7,222 Posts
Thx dave.

I will be using 1/2" stock. Roy uses it, it seems a good thickness for a small box, and hd has s4s stock in that size.

If there is a simpler, reasonably attractive alternative joint, is be happy to hear. Dovetails are not on the table right now.
A classic joint is a finger joint, also called a box joint.

A thread on making a box joint jig for the router table.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/box-joint-jig-router-52481/

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've put this one o. Hold for now. Have moved in a differently direction. Will look forward to picking it up again in the new year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts