Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother tore out an old dock today. How much do you think the wood is worth?

There are:
10, 12"x12"x 10ft.
10, 6"x12x10ft.
There are many more smaller boards. Is there a board foot amount for this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
:eek: Well if it was me its easy, its stinking P:sick: so burn it but that's me :laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigcouger said:
:eek: Well if it was me its easy, its stinking P:sick: so burn it but that's me :laughing::laughing::laughing:
It dosent stink. The wood isn't stained or totem or even soft. It still smells like pine and dosent seem to have many knots in it. The end grain is pretty looking too.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
I am hard pressed to understand how pine that has been used as a dock could last 100 years. I cannot even think of a treatment that would allow for that.

The one exception is if it was all solid heartwood. And if it was that you could not cut it with anything less then a metal saw.

George

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I worked last summer on a dock that was close to 100 years old. The supports were made of pine as far as I could tell, but while there was plenty of rot it was all above the waterline.

If the water is low-oxygen for whatever reason, there won't be much rot at all.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no rot at all. It's all solid, hard and heavy. Some pieces are coated in zebra muscles.
The dock was in Lake Erie. I couldn't tell you if that's low oxygen or not.

Could it be red wood? A few friends thought it would be. I'll try and get better pictures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts