Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am making a pineapple holder ( I know its odd I will post pics when its done) last night I put the first coat of MW Honey maple gel stain on it. The results look exactly like what I was looking for. Should I just stop there and finish it with a coat or 2 of poly? Just wondering if there is any negative side effects of only using one coat, I would hate to sand it then apply a second coat and have it to dark.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Start with poly or whatever your going to use for a top coat now. No reason to use more.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
I'm guessing the pineapple holder is for the purpose of cutting them open. I wouldn't use a polyurethane finish. The acids in the pineapple I believe would strip the finish off as citristrip would. I think a conversion varnish would be a more durable coating.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm guessing the pineapple holder is for the purpose of cutting them open. I wouldn't use a polyurethane finish. The acids in the pineapple I believe would strip the finish off as citristrip would. I think a conversion varnish would be a more durable coating.
actually nope its just used to hold a pineapple upside down lol I know I know wait for the finished post lol

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If you like it the way it is, stop with the stain and apply a couple of coats of your clear coat.

A rule of finishing is that if it looks good, doing more is more likely to decrease its appearance than to improve it.

BTW, Minwax Wood Finish stain contains a varnish that will minimize or prevent any further absorption of another application of the stain. Be sure you followed the directions on the can and wiped off all the excess. Let the stain fully dry for 48 hours before applying your clear coat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts