Woodworking Talk banner

1.5"thk x 5' x 8' Maple Melamine - $10 a sheet at Peach State

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  BigJim 
#1 ·
Yesterday I stopped at Peach State Lumber in Kennesaw, Georgia and they had a slew of 1.5"thk x 5' x 8' boards of maple melamine (MDF substrate) for sale at $10 a pop. Apparently a client of theirs wasn't able to make a payment and instead offered ~300 sheets of these. Peach State has turned around and started to sell them for dirt cheap.

These are pretty beaten up for the most part (read: the edges have some tear and there's the occasional dent), but they are AWESOME for shop tops. I bought two sheets and was able to get a 24"d x 5' top and a huge outfeed table out of one sheet.

See less See more
#4 ·
Ah, yes. The only caveat of these sheets are that they're at LEAST 300lbs a pop. The guys at Peach State assisted me in loading them into my truck (two fit fairly easily) and I had some help unloading them when I got them home. Fortunately my shop is in the garage so it's a ~10 foot move.

#5 ·
That's a great price. As for the weight, MDF can be of different densities, up to about 90 LBS for ¾", 4' x 8", which works out to about 2.81 LBS/sq.ft.

For 1½", thick (5.62 LBS/sq.ft.), for 5' x 8', should be about 225 LBS. I ran across this site showing 1½", 5' x8', and the weight doesn't make sense...could be a misprint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.