Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to make a 1.5" dowel but don't have my own lathe. Is there an easy way to make a dowel that is accurate the entire length without a lath with a 1.5" diameter? I've seen some videos of small thin dowels made with a jig and a drill. I just don't know if it is possible with that large of a dowel.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
vursenbach said:
I need to make a 1.5" dowel but don't have my own lathe. Is there an easy way to make a dowel that is accurate the entire length without a lath with a 1.5" diameter? I've seen some videos of small thin dowels made with a jig and a drill. I just don't know if it is possible with that large of a dowel.

How long does this need to be? And what material?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Lowes caries one in poplar, woodcraft in oak and maple.. All 48 inch long. Quick google search shows virtually any material available .

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ryan50hrl said:
How long does this need to be? And what material?
18"-24" Either oak or walnut. I want to build my own leg vise, bench vise, and bookbinding sewing machine. I need to figure this out before I buy a 1.5" die and tap.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
firemedic said:
You can make an octagon from square stock (with a plane of course) then round it a bit more and then use a rounding plane. Looks like a thread box but cut round dowel.
I like this idea. A rounding plane? So is there an easy way to make one?

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw a couple at Woodworker's Supply but they are almost $50 each.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fire65 said:
1.5" square stock and a round over bit would get pretty close.
That would be a large round over bit.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ryan50hrl said:
Lowes caries one in poplar, woodcraft in oak and maple.. All 48 inch long. Quick google search shows virtually any material available .
Cost? Yea, not good.

·
where's my table saw?
30,347 Posts
try to picture this

Make a lathe... where the router is the cutting means and you rotate the work by cranking it from one end. The router can be gradually moved along the work as it becomes more round. You will need a pin on one end and a crank on the other.

Someone has figured it out:

Reactions: tc65

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Make a lathe... where the router is the cutting means and you rotate the work by cranking it from one end. The router can be gradually moved along the work as it becomes more round. You will need a pin on one end and a crank on the other.

Someone has figured it out:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUA3lryix64

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CddZH6qXWJc
hats off to woodnthings

#2 is brilliant - dont look any further. It could be fine tuned a bit but works well as it is

·
Registered
13,393 Posts

" make a dowel that is accurate the entire length"

Just how accurate? And in what dimension(s) is the accuracy required?

George

·
Registered
27,880 Posts
If it doesn't have to be perfectly round, I've done it with a large round over bit in the router just making 4 passes. You have to make the dowel about 6" longer than what you need because the router tends to snipe toward the ends.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
That would be a large round over bit.

3/4" roundover bit, not too expensive, and you get to keep it. we make them often. will require some sanding at the cut intersections, and supreme accuracy is difficult. BUT, i think you will find that purchasing dowels is a crap shoot for diameter accuracy as well.

make a few and use the best.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DaveTTC said:
hats off to woodnthings

#2 is brilliant - dont look any further. It could be fine tuned a bit but works well as it is
Agreed. However, I like both options.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GROOVY said:
#2 or kenbo's
Cool, and yet I still think it's a good idea for smaller dowels and yet the other one I think would work great for large round stock or tapered legs. For a 1.5" dowel, I think I could go both ways but Kenbo's way might be the best for me since I don't need to make many and would be able to reuse it when I need another. Again, cool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts